Macworld - Messages is now ready for Mac users to test drive. Shortly after announcing its planned Mountain Lion update for OS X on Thursday, Apple released a beta of the revamped version of iChat that will ship with the new operating system this summer.
You can download the Messages beta directly from Apple.
Messages draws its new moniker--and much of its functionality--from the identically named app in iOS. It will replace iChat in Mountain Lion, incorporating all the instant messaging features of the mobile app including the ability to communicate with folks using iMessage. iMessage conversations sync automatically between iOS devices and the Messages app on the Mac.
Our own Jason Snell spent several days using Messages already, and has a full hands-on.
The Messages beta requires Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3. When the Messages beta finishes installing, you'll need to restart your Mac.
- Mountain Lion mauls other OS X editions for top spot
- Apple consistently convinces customers to upgrade OS X
- Apple to kill Messages beta for OS X Lion next month
- OS X Mountain Lion's torrid upgrade pace cools
- Apple rolls out iOS 6, upgrades Mountain Lion
- OS X Mountain Lion grabs 20% share of all Macs
- Apple's Mountain Lion clears 10% bar, now runs 1 in 10 Macs
- Macs at risk from 'super dangerous' Java zero-day
- Mac laptop owners report shortened battery life after Mountain Lion upgrade
- Mac users left wondering if OS X Snow Leopard's retired
- Social Media Education: The New Edge for Success Failure to train for social media will cost your business money. A recent report showed how digitally prepared companies can unlock up to...
- Social Media in Technology: A Unified Strategy for Success Find out how social media is sparking a new era of customer and industry-understanding in technology enterprises and how industry leaders are overcoming...
- Printer Installer: Eliminating Print Servers Printer Installer is an on-premise web application that enables you to centrally manage and deploy Windows shared or direct iP printers.
- How Network Connections Drive Web Application Performance Users around the globe, on all sorts of devices, expect Web applications to function as seamlessly as desktop applications. This paper discusses the...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Internet White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!