Opera acquires two mobile ad companies
The company wants to make more money from the traffic generated via its mobile browsers
IDG News Service - Opera Software has acquired Mobile Theory and 4th Screen Advertising in an effort to boost its push into the mobile advertising space, the Norwegian company said on Thursday.
Opera is paying a combined $10 million in cash up front for both companies, as well as an additional sum based on individual performance, a spokesman at Opera said via email.
Mobile Theory and 4th Screen Advertising are both mobile advertising networks. The latter has been focused on the European market, while Mobile Theory has concentrated on the U.S., according to Opera.
The company wants to make more money on the traffic that flows through the Mini and Mobile browsers, and the acquisitions will allow it to expand offerings to advertisers and publishers that want to reach consumers via applications and the web, across iOS, Android, BlackBerry OS, Java and Symbian, the company said.
This isn't Opera's first purchase related to mobile ads. In 2010, the company bought AdMarvel, which had developed a product suite to manage how ads are delivered to mobile phones.
The acquisitions are a good fit for Opera, and will give it more scale, which is important in the advertising sector, according to Paolo Pescatore, analyst at CCS Insight.
The mobile ad space is getting increasingly competitive, and Opera is up against huge companies such as Google and Apple. Also, Facebook is rumored to be adding mobile advertising next month as it tries to find new sources for revenue.
The mobile advertising market has slowly started to mature, but no company has so far managed to crack the master formula, according to Pescatore.
Mobile advertising revenue is expected to reach $20.6 billion by 2015, according to market research company Gartner.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- Hadoop for Dummies Today, organizations in every industry are being showered with imposing quantities of new information. Along with traditional sources, many more data channels and...
- The Top Five Ways to Get Started with Big Data Despite the increased focus on big data over the past few years, most organizations are still talking about what big data is rather...
- Data Warehouse Augmentation: The Queryable Data Store While organizations have, to date, been busy exploring and experimenting, they are now beginning to focus on using big data technologies to solve...
- The IBM Big Data Platform IBM is unique in having developed an enterprise class big data platform that allows you to address the full spectrum of big data...
- Live Webcast Best Practices: How to Improve Business Continuity with Virtualization VMware solutions include a range of business continuity capabilities to help ensure availability for applications across your virtualized environment. Learn More>>
- Endpoint Data Management: Protecting the Perimeter of the Internet of Things Not surprisingly, "Internet of Things" (IoT) and Big Data present new challenges AND opportunities for enterprise IT. Teams need to harness, secure and...
- Best Practices: How to Improve Business Continuity with Virtualization VMware solutions include a range of business continuity capabilities to help ensure availability for applications across your virtualized environment. Learn More>> All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts