Office for Windows on ARM: Free or not?
Questions -- lots of questions -- remain, but eventually Microsoft will have to clarify the Office with WOA deal, although not any time soon. "The pricing and licensing [of a new product] are always the last things they reveal," said Michael Cherry of Directions on Microsoft.
Silver doesn't expect to get the full story until just weeks before WOA goes RTM, or "Release to Manufacturing," the milestone label that describes when code is completed and ready to hand off to OEMs for inclusion on devices.
"It is very possible that a lot of the details haven't been ironed out yet, and that they're still working on the exact licensing policy vis-a-vie enterprises and the features to be included [in the WOA Office apps] for the consumer market," Hilwa said.
Or those details are already set, but the dearth of answers are just part of Microsoft's attempt to emulate the secrecy popularized by rival Apple.
"They're only putting out the information that they feel is necessary to get out the message that WOA is an integrated environment," said Hilwa. "They had to respond to the discussion around the value of the platform because they're now trying to attract developers, who have to decide whether to support it or not before actual devices are on the market."
Gregg Keizer covers Microsoft, security issues, Apple, Web browsers and general technology breaking news for Computerworld. Follow Gregg on Twitter at @gkeizer, or subscribe to Gregg's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about iOS in Computerworld's iOS Topic Center.
- Cloud Computing Drives IT and Business Agility Hybrid Cloud Accelerates Time to Value What is the main focus for IT in your organization - cost or agility? Many IT discussions today focus on cost controls rather...
- Infographic:10 Reasons to Choose vCloud Air Looking to create an agile, productive, and efficient IT environment? Read this simple infographic to learn about the benefits that VMware vCloud® Air™...
- Data Visualization Techniques: From Basics to Big Data with SAS Visual Analytics This paper discusses some of the basic issues concerning data visualization, from data size and column composition, to solving unique challenges presented by...
- 5 Hybrid Cloud Starting Points Did you know that more than 50% of organizations are already using or planning a move to hybrid cloud?
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All iOS White Papers | Webcasts