IPv6: Dual-stack strategy starts at the perimeter
Network World - We are in an awkward point in the history of the Internet. IPv4 address depletion has occurred yet we expect to use IPv4 for the next 15 to 20 years. Organizations see two paths before them. One alternative is to use continue to use IPv4 and expect to use multiple layers of network address translation (NAT) for many years to come. The other alternative is to start to use IPv6, however, the majority of enterprise organizations and content providers have not embraced the protocol.
U.S. federal organizations should be working on meeting the September 2012 Office of Management and Budget (OMB) mandate to IPv6-enable all government Internet-facing web applications. The glacial speed of the federal government combined with government budget issues makes it difficult for them to meet "yet another unfunded A IPv6 mandate".
Most enterprises have ignored IPv6. They believe they have plenty of IPv4 addresses for their own needs and that they do not have a need for IPv6. The global economic downturn has caused IT organizations to "do more with less" and they have less time to learn and deploy new-fangled technologies like IPv6. Even though IPv6 has been standardized for many years, there is a general lack of knowledge and experience with IPv6 and now many enterprises are starting to realize the position they are in. Furthermore, the vast majority of organizations are confused about how to start planning for IPv6.
To continue reading, register here to become an Insider
It's FREE to join
- Network Monitoring and Troubleshooting for Dummies The Network Monitoring and Troubleshooting for Dummies Book introduces you to common network performance management (NPM) issues and give you a new way...
- Forrester's Ideal Tool Set For Application Performance Management For Better Business Performance Read the report to learn the key findings of Forrester's recent benchmark data on the current state of application availability and performance within...
- The Application Deluge and Visibility Imperative Learn how an integrated approach ensures performance of your network and applications by leveraging network performance management and WAN optimization solutions.
- 10 Steps to Application and Network Performance Nirvana 10 simple steps that network operations teams can take to ensure that applications and underlying infrastructure can both be tuned for maximum performance.
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All LAN/WAN White Papers | Webcasts