IPv6: Dual-stack strategy starts at the perimeter
Network World - We are in an awkward point in the history of the Internet. IPv4 address depletion has occurred yet we expect to use IPv4 for the next 15 to 20 years. Organizations see two paths before them. One alternative is to use continue to use IPv4 and expect to use multiple layers of network address translation (NAT) for many years to come. The other alternative is to start to use IPv6, however, the majority of enterprise organizations and content providers have not embraced the protocol.
U.S. federal organizations should be working on meeting the September 2012 Office of Management and Budget (OMB) mandate to IPv6-enable all government Internet-facing web applications. The glacial speed of the federal government combined with government budget issues makes it difficult for them to meet "yet another unfunded A IPv6 mandate".
Most enterprises have ignored IPv6. They believe they have plenty of IPv4 addresses for their own needs and that they do not have a need for IPv6. The global economic downturn has caused IT organizations to "do more with less" and they have less time to learn and deploy new-fangled technologies like IPv6. Even though IPv6 has been standardized for many years, there is a general lack of knowledge and experience with IPv6 and now many enterprises are starting to realize the position they are in. Furthermore, the vast majority of organizations are confused about how to start planning for IPv6.
To continue reading, register here to become an Insider
It's FREE to join
- Adding WOW to the WAN WAN optimization techniques tweak bandwidth for better network performance and more.
- The High-Performance WAN Find out what are some of the top problems associated with large WANs and the technologies typically used to solve them.
- 2014 Gartner Magic Quadrant Report For the 7th year in a row, Riverbed is in the "Leaders" Quadrant of the 2014 Magic Quadrant for WAN Optimization Controllers. In...
- Four Little-Known Ways WAN Optimization Can Benefit Your Organization Read this white paper to learn how far WAN optimization has come, and how to make this most of your investments by using...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All LAN/WAN White Papers | Webcasts