Mozilla patches critical Firefox bug
Firefox 10 is third straight release needing follow-on patch
Computerworld - For the third consecutive release of Firefox, Mozilla has pushed users a patch shortly after launching a new version of the browser.
On Friday, Mozilla updated Firefox to 10.0.1 to patch a crash bug that "may be potentially exploitable" by attackers. The company rated the vulnerability as "critical," its highest threat ranking.
Firefox 10 shipped the week before, on Jan. 31.
Mozilla has dealt with crash-causing bugs for the two previous releases as well.
One day after shipping Firefox 9 on Dec. 20, Mozilla issued an update to back out a fix that had generated a high number of crash reports, primarily from Mac users.
The month before, Mozilla updated Firefox 8 two weeks after its release, again to cope with Mac edition crash issues. Those crashes were traced to an Apple update of Java earlier in the month.
Mozilla updated not only Firefox, but also Firefox ESR (Extended Support Release), the new edition for enterprises that the company kicked off last month.
Firefox 10 ESR is to receive security updates -- like the one Mozilla released last Friday -- through its 54-week lifespan, but its user interface and feature set will not change during that stretch.
Users running Firefox 10 will be automatically offered the 10.0.1 upgrade, or they can trigger it by selecting "About Firefox" from the Help menu in Windows, or under the Firefox in Mac OS X.
Gregg Keizer covers Microsoft, security issues, Apple, Web browsers and general technology breaking news for Computerworld. Follow Gregg on Twitter at @gkeizer, or subscribe to Gregg's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Desktop Apps in Computerworld's Desktop Apps Topic Center.
- Architects lead the next generation of data-driven applications Read this whitepaper to find out how application architects can quickly and confidently deliver long-lasting applications that minimize cost, complexity, and risk while...
- HTTP Status Code Cheat Sheet Look at the Graph, Find the Code and Boom - You're Solving Problems. Identifying and understanding common HTTP status codes can go a...
- Simple Solution, Big Capability Meet growing employee and business demands by connecting up to 1,000 users with powerful collaboration capabilities with a single, integrated platform -- Cisco...
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All Desktop Apps White Papers | Webcasts