SAP unveils HANA in-memory database offerings for SMBs
A special Edge edition of HANA and HANA-powered analytics for SAP's Business One are on tap
IDG News Service - SAP on Tuesday announced the first products based on its HANA in-memory database aimed at small and medium-sized businesses, including a new Edge edition of the software as well as HANA-powered analytics for the Business One ERP (enterprise resource planning) suite.
The products will be sold through partners to the market segment, among which SAP counts more than 96,000 customers, or 79% of its total base, said Eric Duffaut, president of global ecosystem and channels, during a conference call with press and analysts.
HANA places data to be processed in RAM instead of moving it on and off of traditional disk systems, providing a performance boost. It can handle both analytic and transactional workloads, and is sold in appliance form from a number of vendors.
The Edge edition of HANA is now available and is functionally identical to the enterprise version, said Bobby Vetter, senior vice president of ecosystems and channels readiness. It will also follow the same release schedule as the enterprise edition, he said.
However, the amount of RAM in HANA Edge appliances will be capped at a lower level. HANA Edge can also be sold as a bundle with SAP's BusinessObjects Edge BI (business intelligence) software.
Meanwhile, the Business One analytics offering is a "small-scale, easy-to-use SAP HANA-based application including best in class operational reporting with SAP Crystal Reports software," SAP said in a statement. That product is scheduled to enter "ramp-up," SAP's term for early-adopter programs, with a general release later this year.
Vetter and Duffaut declined to provide pricing details for the products, but stressed that the cost will be appropriate. "We know this market is price sensitive," Duffaut said. "You can trust us with one thing, we have the right price point."
HANA became generally available last June, and since then SAP has placed the technology in the dead-center of its public announcements and technical road maps.
Last month, SAP executive board member and technology chief Vishal Sikka revealed that SAP intends to have HANA support for running certain core modules of its flagship Business Suite by the end of this year, and over time, it's expected that HANA will underpin a next-generation software architecture for SAP's products.
SAP has called HANA the fastest-growing product in its history, with sales reaching more than $209 million last year.
Chris Kanaracus covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Chris's e-mail address is Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
Changing the Way Government Works: Four Technology Trends that Drive Down Costs and Increase Productivity
This paper discusses four technology-based approaches to improving processes and increasing
productivity while driving down department and agency costs.
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- Gartner 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery Software See why CommVault was positioned as the #1 leader in Gartner's 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery software for the 3rd year in...
- Forrester Report: CommVault is a Leader in Enterprise Backup and Recovery In this report, Forrester takes a deep dive into the evaluation criteria, how CommVault is positioned and the features and functionality that make...
- Four Myths of High-Productivity App Dev Debunked Debunk the main myths surrounding high-productivity application development and how both platforms have overcome them.
On-Demand Webcast: 7 Reasons to Choose VoIP
Thinking about a new phone system for your business?
Be sure to watch this informative webcast. Steve Strauss, small business columnist for USA...
All Small Enterprise White Papers |