Facebook may be readying mobile ads
Ads may appear in early March, a few months before IPO
Computerworld - Speculation is circulating online that Facebook is getting ready to launch mobile ads in a few weeks.
The move, if true, would form a new avenue of income for the social network in the months before the company launches its initial public offering, according to a report from the The Financial Times citing unnamed sources.
The report said Facebook has been in contact with advertising agencies regarding what would be "featured stories" in users' news feed. The ads reportedly would launch in early March.
Last week, Facebook filed documents for an IPO with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. With an expected $100 billion valuation, the social network has a preliminary goal of raising $5 billion. The IPO is expected in May. A stock price has not yet been announced.
In its SEC filing, Facebook made it clear to potential investors that it plans on putting a lot of focus on its mobile users. Of the company's 845 million members, 425 million monthly active users access the site with their mobile devices.
Zeus Kerravala, an analyst with ZK Research, said adding a new revenue stream wouldn't just bring in more money, it also could increase Facebook hype - both of which would benefit the IPO.
"Well, the valuation at IPO is based on basic company fundamentals and hype," he added. "Hype can bring in investors that might not typically participate in an IPO, and another revenue stream adds to Facebook's long-term potential."
The problem with such an ad plan is that it could bring in more user ire than revenue, Kerravala said.
"It's like spamming users," he said. "Putting ads in the news feed is, in effect, spam. The news feed is meant for users to keep updated with other users, not for Facebook marketing. This can only have a negative backlash."
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, on Google+ or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Web Apps in Computerworld's Web Apps Topic Center.
- How Network Connections Drive Web Application Performance Users around the globe, on all sorts of devices, expect Web applications to function as seamlessly as desktop applications. This paper discusses the...
- Comprehensive Advanced Threat Defense The hot topic in the information security industry these days is "Advanced Threat Defense" (ATD). This paper describes a comprehensive, network-based approach to...
- Advanced Threat Defense: A Comprehensive Approach In this interview, Peter George, president, General Dynamics Fidelis Cybersecurity Solutions, explains why we need more than anti-malware, and what constitutes a comprehensive...
- Market Overview: Digital Customer Experience Delivery Platforms Forrester states that businesses today struggle to understand and use the tools necessary to create and manage unified, multichannel digital customer experiences across...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Web Apps White Papers | Webcasts