Micron CEO Steve Appleton dies in plane crash
Appleton died Friday in a plane accident in Boise, Idaho, Micron said
IDG News Service - Steve Appleton, chairman and CEO of memory and semiconductor maker Micron, was killed in a small plane accident in Boise, Idaho, on Friday.
"Our hearts go out to his wife, Dalynn, his children and his family during this tragic time," the company said in a statement.
Appleton was 51. He joined Micron in 1983 and became president and CEO in 1991.
The company said it expected to provide additional information later in the day.
Appleton was the only person on the single-engine prop Lancair experimental aircraft, which crashed between two runways, the Idaho Statesman newspaper reported on its website. The crash occurred at about 9 a.m. local time.
Reports were received that the airplane was on fire, county emergency dispatchers told the newspaper. Firefighters were sent to the scene to "extinguish the wreckage," the newspaper reported.
Appleton was the pilot of a high-performance aerobatic plane that crashed in 2004 in the desert south of Boise, the newspaper said. Appleton and a passenger reportedly crawled from that wreckage and Appleton was flown to a hospital afterward.
Flags at the Micron campus in Boise were flying at half-mast on Friday, the newspaper said. Micron manufactures DRAM, NAND and NOR flash memory.
- Accelerating Cloud Deployment and Operations with Managed Services Companies that do not have sufficient in-house expertise to either deploy or maintain an IaaS cloud should turn to Managed Service Providers .
- Enable secure remote access to 3D data without sacrificing visual perfomance Design and manufacturing companies must adapt quickly to the demands of an increasingly global and competitive economy. To speed time to market for...
- Simplifying Product Design In A Complex World Product design engineering has moved far beyond the confines of ever-more powerful workstations. Companies can't afford to restrict projects to using only local...
- A Reference Architecture for the Internet of Things The aim of this is to provide Architects and Developers of IoT projects with an effective starting point that covers the major requirements...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!