Dell forms software group, names former CA CEO as head
Dell tries to organize disparate software units in the company under one roof
IDG News Service - Dell on Thursday said it is forming a Software Group, which will bring together disparate products under one roof as the company tries to sharpen its end-to-end enterprise offerings.
The software unit will be led by John Swainson, who will assume the title of President of Software Group. He was previously senior advisor at Silver Lake, an equity firm, but also served as CEO and CA from 2005 through 2009.
The Software Group offerings will spread across all products and services, CEO Michael Dell said in a statement. Dell is primarily known for its PCs, servers, networking and storage products and also has a services unit, but the creation of a software group will help better server customer needs, the company said.
Dell has been increasingly intertwining software technologies with hardware as it moves beyond just servers to deliver more end-to-end enterprise offerings. Dell in July last year started offering a system with hardware, software and services for organizations to instantly deploy IaaS (Infrastructure-as-a-Service) operations based on the OpenStack cloud software.
Dell is also deploying software elements from recent acquisitions, including Boomi's cloud, RNA Networks' memory virtualization, Compellent's deduplication technologies and Force10's FTOS operating system into servers and appliances. The company has a small internal staff of software developers that are writing applications for PowerEdge servers and Kace management appliances, but the company in the past has said it does not look at itself as a software vendor.
- 5 Customers Deliver Virtual Desktops and Apps to Empower a Modern Workforce Learn how Citrix solutions helped 5 companies realize the full value of desktop virtualization through a project-by-project approach based on key business priorities.
- Top 10 Reasons to Strengthen Information Security with Desktop Virtualization Regain control and reduce risk without sacrificing business productivity and growth
- IDC MarketScape: Worldwide Client Virtualization Software 2013 Vendor Assessment IDC has placed Citrix in the 2013 IDC MarketScape Leaders Category once again noting that, "Citrix's position reflects the company's market leadership and...
- Infographic: Top Use Cases for Desktop Virtualization A wide range of business issues is driving IT toward desktop virtualization. One solution-Citrix XenDesktop with FlexCast technology-helps IT teams empower their entire...
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center...
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily... All IT Careers White Papers | Webcasts
Our 28th annual survey results show which IT skills are in high demand and which are cooling off. Also, see how your salary stacks up to peers' with our Smart Salary Tool.