Dell forms software group, names former CA CEO as head
Dell tries to organize disparate software units in the company under one roof
IDG News Service - Dell on Thursday said it is forming a Software Group, which will bring together disparate products under one roof as the company tries to sharpen its end-to-end enterprise offerings.
The software unit will be led by John Swainson, who will assume the title of President of Software Group. He was previously senior advisor at Silver Lake, an equity firm, but also served as CEO and CA from 2005 through 2009.
The Software Group offerings will spread across all products and services, CEO Michael Dell said in a statement. Dell is primarily known for its PCs, servers, networking and storage products and also has a services unit, but the creation of a software group will help better server customer needs, the company said.
Dell has been increasingly intertwining software technologies with hardware as it moves beyond just servers to deliver more end-to-end enterprise offerings. Dell in July last year started offering a system with hardware, software and services for organizations to instantly deploy IaaS (Infrastructure-as-a-Service) operations based on the OpenStack cloud software.
Dell is also deploying software elements from recent acquisitions, including Boomi's cloud, RNA Networks' memory virtualization, Compellent's deduplication technologies and Force10's FTOS operating system into servers and appliances. The company has a small internal staff of software developers that are writing applications for PowerEdge servers and Kace management appliances, but the company in the past has said it does not look at itself as a software vendor.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- SDCRAA Case Study: Adapting ERP to business needs This case study goes in depth about San Diego County Regional Airport Authority's created flexibility for a changing industry.
- Harness IT -- An Introduction to Business Intelligence Solutions Learn the key selection criteria required to provide your organization with the capability to address structured data, unstructured data and mobile demands so...
- Business Intelligence Shows its Smarts Today's Business Intelligence (BI) tools provide a new way to think about data with self-service capabilities and user-friendly analytics that can be used...
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the... All IT Careers White Papers | Webcasts