Salesforce.com yields to pressure over analytics pricing
Salesforce.com's upcoming Analytics Edition features will now be included in some editions at no additional cost
IDG News Service - Salesforce.com will include some new analytics capabilities at no additional cost with the Enterprise and Unlimited editions of its CRM (customer relationship management) software, following complaints from customers who argued that the features should have been used to fill long-standing gaps in the products' core functionality, not sold separately.
IDG News Service first reported the user discontent last week.
Salesforce.com Chief Operating Officer George Hu announced the change in a blog post due to be posted late Tuesday.
"We got it wrong, and we sincerely apologize to our customers," he wrote. While Salesforce.com initially considered the analytics capabilities to be an entirely new product, "feedback from customers clearly show they view these features as enhancements to our current functionality."
The features, first announced as an Analytics edition, now will not be sold separately, Hu said in an interview. Salesforce.com planned to charge US$40 per user per month for the capabilities. It charges $125 per user per month for the Enterprise edition of its CRM suite, and $250 for the Unlimited edition.
A user affected by the turnabout expressed pleasure at the move.
"It's an amazing example of a company listening to their customers and responding quickly," said Salesforce.com customer Jeremy Farber, who mounted a social media campaign against the pricing last week.
Salesforce.com has made social media in businesses a central theme of its marketing and product strategies. In Farber's view, the pricing reversal is an explicit demonstration of "the power of social media."
"They certainly could have just sat on [the complaints] and ignored it," Farber said. "Ten years ago I'd just be in my office [complaining] to myself."
The outcry gave Salesforce.com a chance to show it can listen to its customers, and perhaps get some good publicity as well.
"We've been preaching for a while now about the power of the social enterprise," Hu said. "We want to practice what we preach."
That doesn't mean Salesforce.com will relent in every case, but complaints like these haven't been the norm, Hu said. "We've announced many products over the years with a separate price and had little to no push-back. This is the first time we've seen this, and that's a message from our customers."
One industry analyst took a measured view of the announcement.
"Analytics is the last frontier for Salesforce.com. They've got social, they've got mobile. The weakest piece of the link is analytics," said analyst Ray Wang, CEO of Constellation Research. "The good news is it's being included in the pricing. The bad news is that there are probably third-party tools that can do a better job."
That said, "the bottom line is, other than exporting out to Excel, people want to use analytics in the environment they're in."
Chris Kanaracus covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Chris's e-mail address is Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
- IDG Research Survey: Are you Paying Too Much for Your NMS? Feel like you're paying too much for network monitoring? You're not alone. This survey brief summarizes findings from research recently fielded by IDG...
- Using Packet Analysis for Quality of Experience Monitoring In this whitepaper, we will discuss what Packet Analysis is, some of the useful information it can provide, and how this info can...
- The business impact of BYOA: Five major challenges and how your enterprise can solve them This E-Book reviews five major challenges of BYOA with key subject matter experts and outlines how businesses can solve them.
- The BYOA Opportunity Visual demonstration of problems that unmonitored, employee-introduced cloud apps can cause a business, and why IT managers need a solution to help and...
- Live Webcast 5 Steps to Assuring Quality of Experience In order to align monitoring and management practices with the true demands of the business, IT professionals must expand beyond traditional comfort zones...
- Live Webcast Master the Changing SAP Landscape with Performance Management SAP landscapes are not getting simpler. Gradually, business processes that used to be contained on a single SAP system now involve a range...
- Tips to Simplify Database Administration and Development Make your job easier while getting the most from the leading productivity tool for database professionals. Learn tips from Dell Software's Oracle® ACE,...
- Data Breaches - Don't Be a Headline Whether it's a HIPAA/HITECH, Sarbanes Oxley, Gramm-Leach-Bliley violation, or a State breach notification law, a data breach can have substantial legal and financial... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts