Costolo says 2012 is 'Twitter election' year
Twitter CEO Costolo says political candidates will need to use the popular social network to win elections
Computerworld - If political candidates want to make any traction in this year's election, they better use Twitter, says Dick Costolo, CEO of the social networking firm.
Costolo, speaking at the All Things D high-tech conference in Laguna Niguel, California Monday night, predicted that the Twitter social network will play a key role in this year's presidential election.
"Gosh, I really think 2012 is going to be the Twitter election," said Costolo, according to a report on CNN.com.
Politicians have increasingly used social networks like Twitter, Facebook and YouTube, especially since 2008 when then-presidential candidate Barack Obama schooled other candidates on the benefits of social media.
Since then, using social networks to educate potential voters, organize volunteers and bring in donations has more and more become a part of the political process.
Costolo said candidates can mold their images by using Twitter.
In an on-stage interview with All Things D media editor Peter Kafka, Twitter's CEO noted that the majority of the Republican candidates for president this year are buying Promoted Tweets. In fact, he said, a "significant portion" of Twitter's 2012 ad sales will come from political ads. "They're buying ads ... and they're going to continue to do it," Costolo said, according to a report in VentureBeat.
Costolo noted that Obama's joke about "crying over spilled milk" during last week's State of the Union address quickly inspired more than 14,000 tweets per minute, highlighting Twitter's ability to take the real-time temperature of the political landscape, VentureBeat reported.
"Candidates that don't participate on Twitter while the conversation is happening, will be left behind," he said.
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- NYC wants its old mechanical-lever voting machines back
- Twitter a big winner in 2012 presidential election
- E-voting machine swaps Obama vote for Romney; taken offline
- Ruling expected shortly in Ohio e-voting lawsuit
- Update: Lawsuit filed in Ohio over software updates to vote tabulation machines
- States rebut RNC complaints about e-voting systems
- Despite e-voting improvements, audits still needed for ballot integrity
- Obama, Romney cite Apple, tech issues in debate
- Twitter becomes new debate spin room
- IT offshoring: Romney vs. Obama
Read more about Web Apps in Computerworld's Web Apps Topic Center.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Six Ways Your Small Business Can Save with Internet Phone Service Traditional phone systems present two main problems for businesses: limited features and high costs. As a result, small businesses are migrating to Internet...
- Face Time Anytime Real-time communications facilitates team collaboration from nearly anywhere in the world. With facts and figures you can use to justify an investment
- Now is the time to implement a video conference solution Video conferencing is getting a lot of buzz lately due to the recent cost decrease, making it tangible for many law firms. It's...
- Video drives engagement Achieving maximum results means building a solid platform and network infrastructure. As digital age unfolds, it's clear that the ability to communicate effectively...
Enhance Your Virtualization Infrastructure With IBM and Vmware
Date: Wednesday, May 14, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Virtualization technology is now expanding beyond the server compute elements to encompass networking and storage...
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
All Web Apps White Papers |