Angry Birds comes to Facebook on Valentine's Day
After Google+ got Angry Birds last August, Facebook follows up on Feb. 14
Computerworld - Looking for an interesting Valentine's Day gift? Big fan of Angry Birds?
If so, you're in luck.
In a move that will help Facebook stay on top of its competition with Google+, the social network is adding Angry Birds to its site starting on Feb. 14, according to a blog post from Rovio, the maker of Angry Birds. The move means that one of the world's most popular mobile video games is joining forces with the world's largest social network.
"Nothing says 'Happy Valentine's Day' like competitive pig-popping among friends!" Rovio noted in its blog post.
Facebook is far from new to the world of gaming. The social networking site has gained popularity in the gaming world by offering users popular games like Farmville, YoVille and Mafia Wars.
Ezra Gottheil, an analyst with Technology Business Research, said games are inherently social. People like to play with their friends and they like to be able to share their results. Putting games together with social networks is just a natural combination, he said.
"There's always been a social aspect to gaming, and games as a part of social networks," said Gottheil. "Of course, the vendors of both types of products like to capitalize on the synergies. So when a popular game lands on a popular site, that's good for both the game and the site."
In August, Facebook also upped its gaming factor by unveiling a bigger gaming screen and giving players a separate stream to show their high scores,as well as their friends' gaming activity.
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, on Google+ or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Web Apps in Computerworld's Web Apps Topic Center.
- How Network Connections Drive Web Application Performance Users around the globe, on all sorts of devices, expect Web applications to function as seamlessly as desktop applications. This paper discusses the...
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Web Apps White Papers | Webcasts