White House CTO Chopra leaving his post
Obama appointed Aneesh Chopra as the nation's first CTO in 2009 to advocate for technology policy at the White House
IDG News Service - Aneesh Chopra, who has served for the past two-and-a-half years as the first CTO for the U.S. government, is stepping down in early February.
Chopra, appointed by President Barack Obama to the new position in May 2009, focused on technology policy at the White House. Chopra worked on modernizing the U.S. government's IT infrastructure, pushed for a nationwide public safety broadband network, helped develop Internet policy principles and worked to implement Obama's open-government strategy, John Holdren, director of the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy, said in a blog post Friday.
Obama, in September 2009, said Chopra was "charged with looking at ways technology can spur innovations that help government do a better and more efficient job."
Mission accomplished, Holdren said. "Aneesh has led that charge in an energetic, innovative, and amazingly effective manner, and sowed the seeds necessary to bring our government into the 21st century," he wrote.
Chopra may run for lieutenant governor in Virginia, the Washington Post reported.
Tech trade groups TechAmerica and the Business Software Alliance praised Chopra's service. The CTO made "an indelible mark on technology policy in this country because of his belief in the transformative nature of technology that resulted in powerful collaborations between government and the industry that will benefit our country long past Aneesh's last day as CTO," Dan Varroney, TechAmerica's acting president and CEO, said in a statement.
BSA President and CEO Robert Holleyman called Chopra a "tireless leader and advocate" for using technology to tackle difficult problems faced by the country.
Chopra served as secretary of technology for the state of Virginia from January 2006 to April 2009. He previously served as managing director with the Advisory Board Co., a health-care think tank.
Grant Gross covers technology and telecom policy in the U.S. government for The IDG News Service. Follow Grant on Twitter at GrantGross. Grant's e-mail address is email@example.com.
This pilot fish is a contractor at a military base, working on some very cool fire-control systems for tanks. But when he spots something obviously wrong during a live-fire test, he can't get the firing-range commander's attention.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Reduce federal infrastructure risk with compliance management and situational awareness
- IBM continuous monitoring and management solutions deliver real-time situational awareness to help federal agencies understand vulnerabilities, and protect the infrastructure.
- Agility & Scalability for Oracle EBS R12 and RAC on VMware vSphere 5
- This white paper outlines extensive performance and scalability testing of Oracle EBS applications on a Vblock™ Systems with vSphere 5.
- Oracle and VCE: The Next Step in Integrated Computing Platforms
- In this ESG Lab review you will learn how a VCE system driven by Oracle, delivers the perfect blend of high performance and...
- Migrate Oracle Apps from RISC/UNIX to Virtualized x86
- Ready to move Oracle to a virtualized environment? This brief explains how true converged infrastructure can help you migrate from a RISC/UNIX environment...
- Step Out of the Bull's-Eye
- Learn about the evolution of targeted attacks, the latest in security intelligence, and strategic steps to keep your business safe. All Government IT White Papers
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily...
- On Demand: Mastering the Art of Mobile Content Management Mobile device usage in the enterprise has skyrocketed, and it continues to escalate. IT must answer to users who demand access to their...
- DevOps with PureApplication System: Reduce cost and speed delivery with an integrated IBM Cloud solution Join this webcast to hear what ING Netherlands has been able to achieve while deploying DevOps tools from IBM Rational. An ING executive...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope...
- All Government IT Webcasts