Interview: Ryan Dahl discusses why his invention is catching fire with developers
InfoWorld Editor at Large Paul Krill spoke with Dahl at the Joyent-sponsored Node Summit conference, which is being held in San Francisco.
InfoWorld: What's the main benefit?
Dahl: Node does things a bit differently than other programming platforms. The main thing is that it handles I/O very differently, so it doesn't allow the user to lock up the program, ever. It keeps the user handling new things, so it's very useful for network programming. You often are dealing with many people at the same time on your server and you're juggling these different connections. Node encourages the developer to continue to process connections without blocking. And because of this model of handling I/O, users tend to find it easier than developing with a traditional programming language for servers.
InfoWorld: Why is Node catching fire, so to speak?
InfoWorld: Is there an issue with running Node on Windows?
Dahl: Well, the port to Windows is a lot newer than the Unix implementation and does have a couple of bugs. But generally users are using it fine. It tends to be working well. Of course, it'll get better over time.
InfoWorld: Are there any particular advantages of Node as far as platform-as-a-service cloud computing and cloud computing in general?
InfoWorld: How many people are developing with Node? What's the growth rate for Node?
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Adobe Creative Cloud FAQ The following are answers to common questions about Adobe® Creative Cloud™ for teams membership, purchasing, security, and storage.
- What's coming to Adobe Creative Cloud Editing and video content creation workflows are about to get easier and more exciting, with major updates coming soon to Creative Cloud, bringing...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All App Development White Papers | Webcasts