Apple is biggest buyer of semiconductors, Gartner says
Rising sales of smartphones, tablets and laptops pushed up Apple's semiconductor spending
IDG News Service - Apple became the biggest buyer of semiconductors last year, ahead of Samsung Electronics and Hewlett-Packard, Gartner said on Tuesday.
Apple's increased semiconductor spending is the result of a number of factors. The company sold more smartphones, and its tablet business was also highly successful in 2011, according to Gartner. The success of the MacBook Air also increased Apple's semiconductor demand, it said.
Apple spent a total of $17.3 billion on semiconductors during 2011, compared to $12.8 billion during 2010, according to Gartner's estimates.
In general, smartphones, tablets and solid-state drives were the major spending drivers in 2011, according to Gartner.
Samsung remained the second-largest semiconductor purchaser, thanks to its improving fortunes in the smartphone sector. The company's semiconductor spending grew by 9.2% to $16.7 billion.
With semiconductor products such as memory priced as commodities, PC and phone vendors' semiconductor spending is related to sales of their finished products.
The shaky PC market pushed HP's semiconductor spending down. HP was still the largest PC maker in the fourth quarter of 2011, but shipments declined 16.2% year-over-year, Gartner recently said. HP spent a total of $16.6 billion on semiconductors during 2011, compared to $17.6 billion during the 2010.
Nokia's semiconductor spending, on the other hand, dropped over 20% to around $9 billion, making it the fifth-largest chip buyer, behind Dell but ahead of Sony (excluding Sony-Ericsson) and Toshiba.
In eighth place was Lenovo, which saw the strongest growth among the top five PC vendors during the fourth quarter, as its shipments grew 23%. It also increased its semiconductor spend by 23.7% to $7.5 billion, Gartner estimated.
The top ten semiconductor buyers spent $105.6 billion, or 35% of semiconductor vendors' worldwide chip revenue, according to Gartner.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- Enable secure remote access to 3D data without sacrificing visual perfomance Design and manufacturing companies must adapt quickly to the demands of an increasingly global and competitive economy. To speed time to market for...
- Simplifying Product Design In A Complex World Product design engineering has moved far beyond the confines of ever-more powerful workstations. Companies can't afford to restrict projects to using only local...
- A Reference Architecture for the Internet of Things The aim of this is to provide Architects and Developers of IoT projects with an effective starting point that covers the major requirements...
- How to Reduce Hardware & Infrastructure Costs Through Data In this paper, we take a look at how organizations are revisiting their network and server architecture in a bid to address the...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!