Obama to do YouTube, Google+ Hangout interview
Following president's State of the Union address, he'll use Google+ to talk to voters
Computerworld - Continuing his longstanding use of social networks, President Barack Obama is set to do an interview in a Google+ Hangout on Jan. 30.
Coming on the heels of Obama's State of the Union address Tuesday night, the interview will be held on Google+ and will be live streamed on YouTube. Google announced today that people can submit questions either via video or text on the White House YouTube channel through midnight ET Jan. 28.
People also can vote on their favorite questions. Those who submitted the most popular questions will be able to join the Google+ Hangout session with Obama and participate live in the interview.
"If you could hang out with President Obama, what would you ask him?" Ramya Raghavan, YouTube news and politics manager, asked in a blog post. "Would your question be about jobs or unemployment? The threat of nuclear weapons? Immigration reform? Whatever your question is, submit it on YouTube for the opportunity to ask the president directly in a special interview over a Google+ Hangout from the White House."
The interview with Obama will be streamed live at 5:30 p.m. ET Jan. 30.
This is far from Obama's first time using social networks. During the 2008 presidential campaign, Obama was quick to harness social networks, using sites like Facebook, YouTube and Twitter to energize supporters and organize volunteers.
On Inauguration Day 2008, the new Obama administration launched a redesign of the WhiteHouse.gov site, adding blogs and making it more interactive.
Since then, he has held online town halls and in 2009 he did a State of the Union follow-up interview, taking questions that online users posed on the WhiteHouse.gov Web site.
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, on Google+ or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Web Apps in Computerworld's Web Apps Topic Center.
- How Network Connections Drive Web Application Performance Users around the globe, on all sorts of devices, expect Web applications to function as seamlessly as desktop applications. This paper discusses the...
- The Truth About Virtual Computing for CAD If you're a user of graphics-intensive software such as 3D modeling, simulation and analysis, and visualization, you might be skeptical about moving to...
- Going Paperless? Here's What You Need to Think About As makers of some of the world's most popular PDF solutions, we often consult with businesses & governmental agencies that have the goal...
- ESG Lab Report: Virident FlashMAX Connect Performance Advantage with vCache on a single Oracle instance View Now>>
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer... All Web Apps White Papers | Webcasts