U.S. finds flaws in ES&S DS200 voting machine
Computerworld - A ballot-scanning device slated for use in the upcoming presidential elections misreads ballots, fails to log critical events and is prone to sudden lockups, the U.S. Election Assistance Commission found.
An EAC report on the Election Systems & Software (ES&S) DS200 Precinct Count Optical Scanner in the Unity 18.104.22.168 voting system cites multiple "substantial anomalies" in the DS200, including screen freezes, system lockups and shutdowns, and a failure to log all normal and abnormal system events.
For example, the 141-page Formal Investigative Report released late last month notes that the DS200 sometimes failed to log events, such as a vote being cast, when its touchscreen was calibrated or when the system was powered on or off.
Though the EAC concluded that the DS200 doesn't currently meet federal standards, it stopped short of decertifying the system.
Instead, the EAC issued a "notice of noncompliance," which gives ES&S an opportunity to remediate the problems.
In a statement, ES&S said it has worked in good faith with the EAC and contends that the flaws wouldn't compromise election results.
This version of this story was originally published in Computerworld's print edition. It was adapted from an article that appeared earlier on Computerworld.com.
Read more about Government/Industries in Computerworld's Government/Industries Topic Center.
- Onboarding New Employees Read this paper to understand the difference between training and socialization in employee onboarding.
- Clearing the Network Hurdle to Cloud Deployment Although enthusiasm is high among IT pros for cloud services, an IDG Research Quick Poll survey found that, in fact, the cloud is...
- 2014 Gartner Magic Quadrant Report For the 7th year in a row, Riverbed is in the "Leaders" Quadrant of the 2014 Magic Quadrant for WAN Optimization Controllers. In...
- Transforming Business Performance with Hybrid Networks IT organizations globally are faced with the challenge to transform network architectures to deliver the right performance and reliability cost-effectively while retaining control....
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All Government/Industries White Papers | Webcasts