U.S. finds flaws in ES&S DS200 voting machine
Computerworld - A ballot-scanning device slated for use in the upcoming presidential elections misreads ballots, fails to log critical events and is prone to sudden lockups, the U.S. Election Assistance Commission found.
An EAC report on the Election Systems & Software (ES&S) DS200 Precinct Count Optical Scanner in the Unity 220.127.116.11 voting system cites multiple "substantial anomalies" in the DS200, including screen freezes, system lockups and shutdowns, and a failure to log all normal and abnormal system events.
For example, the 141-page Formal Investigative Report released late last month notes that the DS200 sometimes failed to log events, such as a vote being cast, when its touchscreen was calibrated or when the system was powered on or off.
Though the EAC concluded that the DS200 doesn't currently meet federal standards, it stopped short of decertifying the system.
Instead, the EAC issued a "notice of noncompliance," which gives ES&S an opportunity to remediate the problems.
In a statement, ES&S said it has worked in good faith with the EAC and contends that the flaws wouldn't compromise election results.
This version of this story was originally published in Computerworld's print edition. It was adapted from an article that appeared earlier on Computerworld.com.
Read more about Government/Industries in Computerworld's Government/Industries Topic Center.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The value of smarter oil and gas fields With global energy requirements continuing to rise, the exploration, development and production of new oil and gas resources are shifting to increasingly challenging...
Changing the Way Government Works: Four Technology Trends that Drive Down Costs and Increase Productivity
This paper discusses four technology-based approaches to improving processes and increasing
productivity while driving down department and agency costs.
- Accelerating Speed to Market in the Highly Competitive Automotive Industry This White Paper discusses how an Enterprise Project Portfolio Management solution optimizes project analysis, management, reporting and risk mitigation processes to accelerate new...
- Hedge Your Bets This report explains how visibility and increased governance is key to reducing risk.
- Make or Break: New Auto Products Must Go To Market On Time This Webcast quantifies the value of time to market for the auto industry and highlights how Primavera Enterprise Portfolio Management can help organizations.
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have. All Government/Industries White Papers | Webcasts