Micron to acquire PCIe virtualization vendor Virtensys
Micron wants to use the technology to allow SSD capacity sharing
Computerworld - Micron Technology on Friday announced it has signed an agreement to acquire Virtensys Ltd., a U.K.-based provider of PCIe-sharing products. No financial details on the deal were released.
For example, Virtensys' VIO-4000 Series PCIe Sharing appliances can virtualize network and storage connectivity to a rack of servers, providing up to 80Gbps of Ethernet uplink bandwidth, 32 Gbps of Fibre Channel bandwidth, and/or up to 16TB of local storage connectivity to up to 16 servers.
Edward Doller, Micron's chief memory systems architect, said the acquisition would enable "a combination of enterprise technology solutions that have the opportunity to virtualize SSD storage on the path to a more flexible and dynamic data center."
Micron will continue to support their deployment of I/O virtualization products. We have been working closely with Virtensys to include our PCIe SSD [P320] into their appliance and plan on rolling that solution out later this year," Doller said.
Micron said it expects the transaction to close by the end of the month.
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Data Storage in Computerworld's Data Storage Topic Center.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- OpenStack Hype vs. Reality: CIO Quick Pulse Open-source architecture can enable IT departments to build infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS) clouds running on standard hardware.
- OpenStack and Red Hat: IDC White paper Most OpenStack deployments are by public cloud providers that are early adopters of technology and use OpenStack in a do-it-yourself deployment and support...
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform Datasheet Seamlessly transition to the cloud. Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform delivers an integrated foundation to create, deploy, and scale a secure and...
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Make or Break: New Auto Products Must Go To Market On Time This Webcast quantifies the value of time to market for the auto industry and highlights how Primavera Enterprise Portfolio Management can help organizations.
- IBM Flash Webcast: Optimizing your Datacenter for Efficient Storage & ROI Register for this webcast to learn the benefits of flash storage from IBM Customer, Leonardo Irastorza of Royal Caribbean Cruise Ltd and Storage... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts