IBM's Watson advises oncologists at Los Angeles cancer center
Computerworld - IBM's Watson supercomputer is about to begin evaluating cancer treatment options that can be delivered to physicians in a matter of seconds.
IBM and WellPoint -- the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association's largest health plan -- are essentially turning Watson into an adviser for oncologists at Cedars-Sinai's Samuel Oschin Comprehensive Cancer Institute in Los Angeles.
Cedars-Sinai's historical data about cancer, as well as its current clinical records, will be ingested into a version of Watson that will reside at WellPoint's headquarters in Indianapolis. The computer will act as a repository of information about multiple types of cancer, according to IBM's Steve Gold, the worldwide marketing director for Watson.
WellPoint will work with Cedars-Sinai physicians to design and develop applications that will help doctors prescribe specific treatments for patients. Some of the applications will involve speech and imaging.
Last fall, WellPoint and IBM partnered to improve patient care through the use of evidence-based medicine, in which doctors follow proven best practices when they encounter patients with specific symptoms. One example is when a physician prescribes an aspirin regimen for someone who has suffered a heart attack.
This version of Watson is much smaller than the one that defeated two human champions on the TV show Jeopardy!, Gold said. The TV version was designed to respond to a question in three seconds. But for a doctor, he said, the speed of the response is much less important than the quality of the information.
This version of this story was originally published in Computerworld's print edition. It was adapted from an article that appeared earlier on Computerworld.com.
Read more about Hardware in Computerworld's Hardware Topic Center.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Redefine Your IT Operations: Remote Office IT Has Never Been Simpler Join us to see why PC Pro named Dell PowerEdge VRTX the "2013 Server of the Year." PowerEdge VRTX may be just what...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!