IBM's Watson advises oncologists at Los Angeles cancer center
Computerworld - IBM's Watson supercomputer is about to begin evaluating cancer treatment options that can be delivered to physicians in a matter of seconds.
IBM and WellPoint -- the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association's largest health plan -- are essentially turning Watson into an adviser for oncologists at Cedars-Sinai's Samuel Oschin Comprehensive Cancer Institute in Los Angeles.
Cedars-Sinai's historical data about cancer, as well as its current clinical records, will be ingested into a version of Watson that will reside at WellPoint's headquarters in Indianapolis. The computer will act as a repository of information about multiple types of cancer, according to IBM's Steve Gold, the worldwide marketing director for Watson.
WellPoint will work with Cedars-Sinai physicians to design and develop applications that will help doctors prescribe specific treatments for patients. Some of the applications will involve speech and imaging.
Last fall, WellPoint and IBM partnered to improve patient care through the use of evidence-based medicine, in which doctors follow proven best practices when they encounter patients with specific symptoms. One example is when a physician prescribes an aspirin regimen for someone who has suffered a heart attack.
This version of Watson is much smaller than the one that defeated two human champions on the TV show Jeopardy!, Gold said. The TV version was designed to respond to a question in three seconds. But for a doctor, he said, the speed of the response is much less important than the quality of the information.
This version of this story was originally published in Computerworld's print edition. It was adapted from an article that appeared earlier on Computerworld.com.
Read more about Hardware in Computerworld's Hardware Topic Center.
- Accelerating Cloud Deployment and Operations with Managed Services Companies that do not have sufficient in-house expertise to either deploy or maintain an IaaS cloud should turn to Managed Service Providers .
- Enable secure remote access to 3D data without sacrificing visual perfomance Design and manufacturing companies must adapt quickly to the demands of an increasingly global and competitive economy. To speed time to market for...
- Simplifying Product Design In A Complex World Product design engineering has moved far beyond the confines of ever-more powerful workstations. Companies can't afford to restrict projects to using only local...
- A Reference Architecture for the Internet of Things The aim of this is to provide Architects and Developers of IoT projects with an effective starting point that covers the major requirements...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!