Verizon to add LTE to five more cities
Total hits 195 markets, well ahead of other carriers
Computerworld - Verizon Wireless on Thursday will add five more cities to its rapidly expanding 4G LTE network, including Brownsville and McAllen, Texas.
The other three cities being added are Glens Falls and Utica, N.Y., and Lawton, Okla., bringing Verizon's total to 195 markets.
The major U.S. cities have already been activated on Verizon's 4G LTE, but Verizon said it will expand its LTE service in Atlanta, Houston and Spokane, Wash., on Thursday.
Verizon said its LTE network is now within reach of 200 million people.
The carrier also said the Spectrum smartphone from LG will be available Thursday for 4G LTE service, The smartphone was announced with five other LTE devices on Verizon at the CES trade show last week. The Spectrum features a 4.5-in. display and will sell for $199.99 with a two-year contract.
Average data downlinks on Verizon's LTE are 5 Mbps to 12 Mbps, Verizon said.
AT&T has begun an LTE network and now serves 26 cities, while Sprint has committed to launching LTE in 11 cities by mid-year.
At CES, AT&T announced five Android smartphones and a tablet that run over LTE, while Sprint promised to offer.
Read more about Wireless Networking in Computerworld's Wireless Networking Topic Center.
- 802.11ac Non-Disruptive Migration Strategies Emerging 802.11ac standard promises a significant boost in performance to support ubiquitous mobility.
- City Solved Network Mystery - Saves $30K The City of Jacksonville put their hunch to work and not only solved a mystery, but found a new and innovative use for...
- Making it work: Using Cisco and Microsoft Lync to Drive Collaboration Microsoft Lync is posting impressive adoption rates. As a Cisco Premier Partner and a company that has deployed Microsoft Lync to its own...
- Using Video to Gain a Competitive Advantage: A Business Strategy for Mid-Market Companies The insights provided in this white paper are based on industry analysts and 30+ years of experience from the Video Collaboration Group at...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Wireless Networking White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!