Protests against SOPA, PIPA go viral
Concern about the bills has been simmering for weeks and appears to have boiled over in the last few days. Late last week, Reddit announced that it would black out its site for 12 hours on Wednesday to express opposition to the measures.
The company was soon joined by Wikipedia, which said it would black out its site all day Wednesday. Numerous other sites then adopted the same plans.
Tiffiniy Chen, a co-founder of Fight for the Future, said protests against the bills is now so widespread "it is in many ways beyond us."
The organization's Sopastrike.com site offers various tips and links designed to make it easier for Website owners to participate in the strike or to register their protest with elected officials. "I'm not surprised at the response," Cheng said today. "These bills are extremely disrespectful to how the Internet works."
Garlin Gilchrist II, national campaign director for MoveOn.Org, another site that will go black tomorrow, said that so far more than 240,000 MoveOn members have signed petitions expressing their opposition to SOPA and PIPA.
"The bills are incredibly problematic, both as intended and as designed," Gilchrist said.
Jaikumar Vijayan covers data security and privacy issues, financial services security and e-voting for Computerworld. Follow Jaikumar on Twitter at @jaivijayan or subscribe to Jaikumar's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
See more on the controversy over SOPA.
- SOPA blowback, and other tech predictions for 2013
- Groups: Congress should scrap SOPA, PIPA and start over
- Who really was behind the SOPA protests?
- SOPA's big brother signed by EU nations amid widespread protests
- SOPA and PIPA: What went wrong?
- Mozilla touts Firefox impact in SOPA blackout
- Sen. Leahy criticizes 'knee-jerk' reaction to PIPA, SOPA protests
- Anti-SOPA, PIPA protests to continue
- Twitter, Facebook fuel SOPA protests
- Issa introduces SOPA alternative in the House
Read more about Legal in Computerworld's Legal Topic Center.
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Getting to a Single View of the Truth with Cloud-based HCM Technology This exclusive new IDG Research survey highlights how unified, cloud-based HCM solutions help companies centralize and analyze workforce information more easily, boost employee...
- Cloud Computing Conquers Finance A new survey from IDG Research sheds fresh light on the advantages of cloud-based finance solutions over traditional on-premises systems. Learn the benefits...
- Using Continuous Delivery to Improve Software Delivery Learn more about the challenges impacting organizations and how continuous delivery processes can be a key success factor in accelerating software delivery.
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All Legal White Papers | Webcasts