Facebook may take company public in May
Reports create a buzz online that social network may file paperwork for IPO in next month
Computerworld - Reports were circulating Tuesday that Facebook will launch its initial public offering in May.
The Internet has been abuzz since an initial report came out on All Things D, citing unnamed sources, that the social network's long-anticipated IPO is expected in the third week of May.
All Things D reported that if Facebook is to make a May IPO, executives would need to file the paperwork within the next month, noting that the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission generally takes three to four months to review filings.
Facebook, which has a reported 800 million users worldwide, is expected to raise about $10 billion in its IPO.
The social networking company said it won't comment on speculation about an IPO.
"This could be the biggest IPO we've seen in years," said Zeus Kerravala, principal analyst with ZK Research, in a previous interview. "There definitely is value in communities and being able to facilitate conversation. With 800 million users, that's about 10% of the world population connected through Facebook."
The social network, which now has enough industry power to compete with Google, is largely thought to be a bellwhether for the staying power and investment potential of the social networking arena in general.
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, on Google+ or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Web Apps in Computerworld's Web Apps Topic Center.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Face Time Anytime Real-time communications facilitates team collaboration from nearly anywhere in the world. With facts and figures you can use to justify an investment
- Riverbed Stingray Application Firewall: Securing Cloud Applications with a Distributed Web Application Firewall Responsibility over IT security is moving away from the network and IT infrastructure and to the application and software architecture itself. IT organizations...
- Now is the time to implement a video conference solution Video conferencing is getting a lot of buzz lately due to the recent cost decrease, making it tangible for many law firms. It's...
- Video drives engagement Achieving maximum results means building a solid platform and network infrastructure. As digital age unfolds, it's clear that the ability to communicate effectively...
- Four Myths of High-Productivity App Dev Debunked Debunk the main myths surrounding high-productivity application development and how both platforms have overcome them.
On-Demand Webcast: 7 Reasons to Choose VoIP
Thinking about a new phone system for your business?
Be sure to watch this informative webcast. Steve Strauss, small business columnist for USA...
All Web Apps White Papers |