Facebook may take company public in May
Reports create a buzz online that social network may file paperwork for IPO in next month
Computerworld - Reports were circulating Tuesday that Facebook will launch its initial public offering in May.
The Internet has been abuzz since an initial report came out on All Things D, citing unnamed sources, that the social network's long-anticipated IPO is expected in the third week of May.
All Things D reported that if Facebook is to make a May IPO, executives would need to file the paperwork within the next month, noting that the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission generally takes three to four months to review filings.
Facebook, which has a reported 800 million users worldwide, is expected to raise about $10 billion in its IPO.
The social networking company said it won't comment on speculation about an IPO.
"This could be the biggest IPO we've seen in years," said Zeus Kerravala, principal analyst with ZK Research, in a previous interview. "There definitely is value in communities and being able to facilitate conversation. With 800 million users, that's about 10% of the world population connected through Facebook."
The social network, which now has enough industry power to compete with Google, is largely thought to be a bellwhether for the staying power and investment potential of the social networking arena in general.
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, on Google+ or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Web Apps in Computerworld's Web Apps Topic Center.
- How Network Connections Drive Web Application Performance Users around the globe, on all sorts of devices, expect Web applications to function as seamlessly as desktop applications. This paper discusses the...
- The State of Video Conferencing Security Video conferencing equipment, found in almost every boardroom around the world, may be opening up companies to serious security breaches. This paper explains...
- 3 Keys to Secure BYOD Deployment The new Bring-Your-Own-Device (BYOD) environment presents challenges for IT managers and business leaders. This paper discusses how IT managers can address those challenges,...
- Creating a Video Collaboration Strategy: Four Mistakes Mid-Market Companies Make and How to Avoid Them This Cisco-sponsored whitepaper from AVI-SPL shares key insights from Cisco's and AVI-SPL's teams of video collaboration integration experts gained through hundreds of deployments...
- PST Archiving: What is it and How is it Done? Learn more about what PST data is, the risks relating to it, and how the new PST Archiving feature in the Simpana 10...
- HP DevOps KnowledgeVault This interactive resource focuses on the evolution taking place in the world of software development, specifically the Agile development framework, and the gap... All Web Apps White Papers | Webcasts
Computerworld has launched its annual search for outstanding IT leaders who align technology with business goals. Nominate a top IT executive for the 2015 Premier 100 IT Leaders awards now through July 18.