Google adds virtualization queen Diane Greene to its board
Network World - Google has appointed Diane Greene, a co-founder and former CEO of VMware, to its board of directors and audit committee.
Greene was let go by VMware in 2008, though hasn't been entirely quiet since. Among other things she is among the financial backers of network virtualization vendor Nicira, which was one of our 2010 "Companies to Watch."
Google can use Greene's knowledge of virtualization given the company's efforts in cloud computing. What's more, Google has partnered with companies such as VMware and Citrix to enable virtualized apps to run on Chromebooks.
"Diane is a special person who combines a sharp business acumen with a brilliant technical mind," said Eric Schmidt, executive chairman of Google. "We know she will be a great contributor and we are grateful to have her insight."
The 56-year-old Greene joins Schmidt and Google co-founders Sergey Brin and Larry Page, as well as tech heavy hitters such as VC John Doerr and Intel chief Paul Otellini on the board. Greene's background, in addition to her 10 years as head of VMware, includes technical leadership positions at companies such as Silicon Graphics, Tandem Computers and Sybase.
Read more about data center in Network World's Data Center section.
- Aberdeen Group: Marketing Analytics for Manufacturing: Forging Customer Insights There are no recalls for poor marketing. Manufacturers need to get their customer intelligence and messaging right the first time. Learn how.
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- See the Possibilities Utilizing Data Visualization Do you simply want to collect data, or do you want to derive business insights from it? What if you could quickly and...
- The Truth About Virtual Computing for CAD If you're a user of graphics-intensive software such as 3D modeling, simulation and analysis, and visualization, you might be skeptical about moving to...
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer... All IT Industry White Papers | Webcasts