Nvidia shows quad-core tablet prototype running Windows 8
Other quad-core tablets include Acer Iconia A510
Microsoft is not expected to ship the Windows 8 operating system before mid-year, but Nvidia was eager to provide a sneak peek of the OS's Metro user interface running on a tablet using Tegra 3, a 1.3 GHz quad-core ARM-based processor. Another prototype showed a high-definition video running over HDMI to a larger monitor.
Windows 8 running on an ARM processor in a tablet was first announced at CES a year ago, a booth agent noted. No information on tablets shipping with Windows 8 has been announced.
In the three tablet prototypes, one 10-in. tablet showed the Metro user interface comprised of tiles with real-time information, with one tile displaying the latest stock quotes being updated. That's a similar concept used on Windows Phone 7.5, also called Mango.
No other specs were offered.
Also on display was an Acer Iconica A510 tablet running a quad-core Tegra 3 processor. The tablet has a 10.1-in. touchscreen and was shown running Android 4.0, also known as Ice Cream Sandwich. No price or availability has been announced.
Plus, check out our live blog from CES.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Processors in Computerworld's Processors Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Processors White Papers | Webcasts