Sony to launch 'SmartWatch' that syncs with, controls Android phones
The device is the successor to the Sony Ericsson LiveView, which looks and feels much like an iPod nano
IDG News Service - Sony plans later this year to launch a device it is calling the SmartWatch, which links to Android phones via Bluetooth and runs a suite of custom mini-apps.
The new device, which is approximately the shape and size of an iPod nano, including the clip on the rear, is an apparent successor to the Sony Ericsson LiveView, which was first announced in 2010. It will debut worldwide some time near the end of March, for $149.
Representatives at Sony's booth at the Consumer Electronics Show are wearing the device, which is synched with demo models of the company's two new Xperia smartphones that were announced yesterday. However, they said it will also work with other Android devices, through an app called LiveWare, which also manages apps that work with the platform.
Demonstrations showed the SmartWatch receiving data feeds from handsets, including Facebook and Twitter updates, as well as remotely controlling mobile audio player software. The watch will also run apps that perform functions such as operating a handset's camera software, including displaying the image to be snapped. A spokeswoman said it would run for two to four days on a single charge.
The device will have 15 pre-installed apps at launch but will store up to 255. Like Apple's nano, it displays four at a time in a grid pattern.
The device has a black bezel around the screen, with a silver edge and a white back and clip, which hides the charging port. It comes with a black wristband, but other colors will be sold separately.
It is clearly labeled "Sony" on the front, with no reference to the Sony Ericsson joint venture that launched the original device. Sony said last year it would acquire all shares in the venture and turn it into a subsidiary.
Plus, check out our live blog from CES.
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!