Sony to launch 'SmartWatch' that syncs with, controls Android phones
The device is the successor to the Sony Ericsson LiveView, which looks and feels much like an iPod nano
IDG News Service - Sony plans later this year to launch a device it is calling the SmartWatch, which links to Android phones via Bluetooth and runs a suite of custom mini-apps.
The new device, which is approximately the shape and size of an iPod nano, including the clip on the rear, is an apparent successor to the Sony Ericsson LiveView, which was first announced in 2010. It will debut worldwide some time near the end of March, for $149.
Representatives at Sony's booth at the Consumer Electronics Show are wearing the device, which is synched with demo models of the company's two new Xperia smartphones that were announced yesterday. However, they said it will also work with other Android devices, through an app called LiveWare, which also manages apps that work with the platform.
Demonstrations showed the SmartWatch receiving data feeds from handsets, including Facebook and Twitter updates, as well as remotely controlling mobile audio player software. The watch will also run apps that perform functions such as operating a handset's camera software, including displaying the image to be snapped. A spokeswoman said it would run for two to four days on a single charge.
The device will have 15 pre-installed apps at launch but will store up to 255. Like Apple's nano, it displays four at a time in a grid pattern.
The device has a black bezel around the screen, with a silver edge and a white back and clip, which hides the charging port. It comes with a black wristband, but other colors will be sold separately.
It is clearly labeled "Sony" on the front, with no reference to the Sony Ericsson joint venture that launched the original device. Sony said last year it would acquire all shares in the venture and turn it into a subsidiary.
Plus, check out our live blog from CES.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts