Mozilla moves forward with plan for enterprise version of Firefox
This new version of the browser would be upgraded much less frequently to give IT departments a chance to properly adopt new releases
IDG News Service - Mozilla is advancing its plans to release a version of Firefox tailored for organizations whose IT departments manage it for their employees from a central console.
This version of Firefox, to be called Extended Support Release (ESR), will be updated at a much slower pace than the regular version of the browser, in order to give IT departments enough time to appropriately test, certify and adopt the new releases.
The proposal to develop Firefox ESR has now been escalated from a "proposal" to what Mozilla calls "a plan of action," Mozilla official Jay Sullivan said in a blog post on Tuesday.
"Releases of the ESR will occur once a year, providing these organizations with a version of Firefox that receives security updates but does not make changes to the Web or Firefox Add-ons platform," Sullivan wrote.
Mozilla is working closely with its Enterprise User Working Group on this project. "Over the last few months we received great feedback on the initial proposal from the Mozilla community and strongly believe that the ESR meets that goal," he wrote.
Mozilla will publish more implementation details about Firefox ESR "within a week" in its Mozilla Dev Planning discussion forum and on the Enterprise User Working Group mailing list.
IDC analyst Al Hilwa said it's smart of Mozilla to develop Firefox ESR, because large companies are very particular about the pace of software change on employee machines.
"You can argue the pluses and minuses of such IT strategies or whether organizations should adapt to a faster pace," he said via email. "But you can't argue with their desire to exercise control. In this case, Mozilla is accommodating those needs and desires."
Juan Carlos Perez covers search, social media, online advertising, e-commerce, web application development, enterprise cloud collaboration suites and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Juan on Twitter at @JuanCPerezIDG.
- Architects lead the next generation of data-driven applications Read this whitepaper to find out how application architects can quickly and confidently deliver long-lasting applications that minimize cost, complexity, and risk while...
- HTTP Status Code Cheat Sheet Look at the Graph, Find the Code and Boom - You're Solving Problems. Identifying and understanding common HTTP status codes can go a...
- Simple Solution, Big Capability Meet growing employee and business demands by connecting up to 1,000 users with powerful collaboration capabilities with a single, integrated platform -- Cisco...
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All Desktop Apps White Papers | Webcasts