Nokia unveils Lumia 900 smartphone at CES
Windows Phone 7.5 device to run on AT&T's LTE network
Computerworld - Nokia on Monday unveiled the Lumia 900, its first 4G LTE phone, which will run over the AT&T network.
Nokia CEO Stephen Elop introduced the Windows Phone 7.5 (Mango) device at a press conference at CES, where he was joined by Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer.
The Lumia 900 will follow Nokia's first Windows Phone, the Lumia 710, which will run on T-Mobile USA within a matter of days for $49.99 after rebate and with a two-year contract.
"We have a lot of room to go in terms of selling Windows phones," Ballmer said, but he noted that AT&T is already the biggest Windows Phone carrier in the U.S. Windows Phone has less than 3% of the smartphone market, well behind Apple's iPhone and various Android devices.
AT&T Mobility's CEO Ralph de la Vega joined Elop and Ballmer in the announcement. "Believe me, I think Nokia is going to be back in the U.S. in a very big way," de la Vega said.
"This phone is truly built around people and not applications." The Lumia 900 will ship in coming weeks, he said.
Nokia emphasized high-quality front- and rear-facing cameras in the Lumia 900, but otherwise discussed few details.
Prior to the announcement, various blogs said the phone would have a 4.3-in. screen and an 8-megapixel camera. The phone has a 1.4 GHz Snapdragon processor, an 1830 mAh battery and 16GB of internal storage.
Pricing for the Lumia 900 was not disclosed.
Plus, check out our live blog from CES.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Smartphones in Computerworld's Smartphones Topic Center.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts