Nokia unveils Lumia 900 smartphone at CES
Windows Phone 7.5 device to run on AT&T's LTE network
Computerworld - Nokia on Monday unveiled the Lumia 900, its first 4G LTE phone, which will run over the AT&T network.
Nokia CEO Stephen Elop introduced the Windows Phone 7.5 (Mango) device at a press conference at CES, where he was joined by Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer.
The Lumia 900 will follow Nokia's first Windows Phone, the Lumia 710, which will run on T-Mobile USA within a matter of days for $49.99 after rebate and with a two-year contract.
"We have a lot of room to go in terms of selling Windows phones," Ballmer said, but he noted that AT&T is already the biggest Windows Phone carrier in the U.S. Windows Phone has less than 3% of the smartphone market, well behind Apple's iPhone and various Android devices.
AT&T Mobility's CEO Ralph de la Vega joined Elop and Ballmer in the announcement. "Believe me, I think Nokia is going to be back in the U.S. in a very big way," de la Vega said.
"This phone is truly built around people and not applications." The Lumia 900 will ship in coming weeks, he said.
Nokia emphasized high-quality front- and rear-facing cameras in the Lumia 900, but otherwise discussed few details.
Prior to the announcement, various blogs said the phone would have a 4.3-in. screen and an 8-megapixel camera. The phone has a 1.4 GHz Snapdragon processor, an 1830 mAh battery and 16GB of internal storage.
Pricing for the Lumia 900 was not disclosed.
Plus, check out our live blog from CES.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Smartphones in Computerworld's Smartphones Topic Center.
- Tips for Driving User Adoption in New Technology Deployment Read this checklist on tips for driving user adoption to see where you stand.
- Are You Prepared for a Software Audit? Just the word "audit" is enough to make anyone shiver, and when it comes to a software audit, the reaction is no different....
- 2014 Gartner Magic Quadrant Report For the 7th year in a row, Riverbed is in the "Leaders" Quadrant of the 2014 Magic Quadrant for WAN Optimization Controllers. In...
- Improving Business Value of WAN Optimization Want to achieve faster ROI with WAN optimization? Read the latest IDC report and discover how you can cut IT costs without compromising...
- Leveraging Flash Storage to Accelerate Oracle Real Application Clusters Join this webinar to understand the latest solid-state storage trends, the specific applications driving solid-state storage deployments and the benefits of deploying the...
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to... All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!