LG aims smartphones at sports fans, corporate IT
Firm touts ESPN and VMware links on different devices
Computerworld - LAS VEGAS -- LG Electronics today unveiled its latest smartphone, highlighting its ability to stream sports.
The company also said it is packaging its LG Revolution phones to be IT friendly.
The company's latest phone is the LG Spectrum, with a 4.5 inch display and a resolution of 1280 x 720 at 329 pixels per square inch that appears to be roughly in line with Apple's pixel count.
It will be sold by Verizon starting Jan. 19 for $199.99 with a two-year contract.
The phone has a Qualcomm 1.5 GHz dual core processor and 1 GB of RAM.
At the press conference today at the Consumer Electronics Show here, the company highlighted its ability to stream sports, and promised HD access to ESPN's ScoreCenter.
LG largely produces consumer products, such as washing machines, televisions, and refrigerators, one with the ability to chill a can to "frosty" conditions in 5 minutes.
The company also said it is networking all of its devices together, and giving users remote management capability.
On its LG Revolution telephones, the company is making an effort to be both business and consumer friendly.
The LG Revolutions cell phones are integrating VMware, enabling it to operate two Android operating systems on a single device, one for work and other for personal. This allows IT organizations to apply IT policies on the business OS, the company said.
Patrick Thibodeau covers SaaS and enterprise applications, outsourcing, government IT policies, data centers and IT workforce issues for Computerworld. Follow Patrick on Twitter at @DCgov, or subscribe to Patrick's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Smartphones in Computerworld's Smartphones Topic Center.
- Tips for Driving User Adoption in New Technology Deployment Read this checklist on tips for driving user adoption to see where you stand.
Oracle Software Licensing: The Value of Resellers
NEW white paper explores real-world insights and:
* The Rise of Audits
* Compliance Spend
* SAM and Compliance
* Working Directly with a...
- ACM Leadership Guide Knowledge worker effectiveness has emerged as a top priority to both optimize the customer experience and help employees work more efficiently. See how...
- The Cloud BI that IT and Developers Demand Jaspersoft for AWS allows developers and IT professionals to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics...
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts