Intel shows off ultrabook prototype at CES
It can be used as a laptop or tablet
Computerworld - Intel drew an excited response from the Monday morning crowd at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas when the company showed off a prototype of an ultrabook with a transparent touch screen.
The company is calling the ultrabook/tablet hybrid a "slider." While open, it can be used as a regular laptop; when closed, it can be transformed into a flat tablet with a touchscreen.
"We're making it so you have the best of both worlds," Erik Reid, a general manager with Intel, told Computerworld. "You want the productivity of notebook, but there are times you want to be in a tablet mode, like when you're on a plane. We're merging those for you."
"The hybrids or convertibles will come out later this year," Reid said. "This is what we consider Job 1 for Intel. It's our focus to create excitement in the PC category."
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, on Google+ or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Laptops in Computerworld's Laptops Topic Center.
- Securing Mobile App Data - Comparing Containers and App Wrappers Analysts agree that Mobile Device Management (MDM) is not enough when it comes to securing app data. Although it remains a critical component...
- Capabilities You Need in an IP Address Management Solution A mismanaged IP space can cripple an otherwise healthy network. Take a moment to understand what you need in an enterprise-ready IPAM solution.
- IPv6 Fundamentals IPv6 is needed to sustain the growth of the Internet. The transition from IPv4 will require planning and likely some degree of support...
- Optimize IT Performance & Availability: Four Steps to Establish Effective IT Management Baselines More than ever before, your company's ability to grow hinges on IT performance and availability. Download this how-to report on establishing IT baselines,...
- Accelerate your innovation with IBM Bluemix™ Join us for a webcast introducing the new IBM BluemixTM. IBM Bluemix (www.bluemix.net) is a developer oriented Platform as a Service (PaaS) environment...
- Maximizing Availability for the Modern Data Center Check out this information-packed resource center for help in maximizing the availability of your data center - from overcoming challenges to choosing the... All Laptops White Papers | Webcasts