Acer Iconia A200 tablet ships Jan. 15 for $330
New 10.1-in. tablet is same price as the 7-in. A100
Computerworld - Acer America today unveiled the Iconia Tab A200, an Android-based tablet that will go on sale Jan. 15 in the U.S. starting at $329.99.
The A200 features a 10.1-in. touchscreen, the same size as some earlier Acer tablets. The A200's predecessor, the 7-in. Iconia A100 touchscreen, shipped for the same price in August.
The $330 price puts Acer's devices above the $199 cost of the new Kindle Fire with a 7-in. screen, but below the starting price for the iPad 2, which has a 9.7-in. screen but starts out at $499.
While the A200 will be shipped with Android 3.2 "Honeycomb," a free upgrade to Android 4.0 will be available in mid-February, Acer said.
Acer described the new tablet as "made especially for multimedia enjoyment." It has an HD display with a 1280-by-800 pixel resolution, weigha 1.5 pounds and uses an Nvidia Tegra 2 dual-core mobile processor.
The $329.99 price applies to the 8GB version of the A200; a16GB version will cost $349.99. Both will be available at national retailers, Acer said in a statement.
More tablet info
The table below shows the most recently announced tablets as reported by Computerworld. Click a tablet's name in the leftmost column to read a news story or review with more information about the device, or view a larger table with more details about each product.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Hardware in Computerworld's Hardware Topic Center.
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- Mobile First: Securing Information Sprawl Learn how the partnership between Box and MobileIron can help you execute a "mobile first" strategy that manages and secures both mobile apps...
- AIIM Trendscape: The New Mobile Reality This AIIM Trendscape report shares data, expert opinions, and a unique perspective on the impact of cloud and mobility in the enterprise, surfacing...
- Empowering Your Mobile Workers A modern mobile IT strategy is no longer an option, it is an absolute necessity. Here's how some of the nation's most progressive...
- Why do you need an enterprise mobile platform? Today companies must offer great apps that run on a range of devices, and connect to an exploding set of backend data. Appcelerator...
- Technology for Everyone A Kansas school district modernizes teaching and learning and paves the way to a one-to-one program with a comprehensive upgrade of its wireless... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts