Acer Iconia A200 tablet ships Jan. 15 for $330
New 10.1-in. tablet is same price as the 7-in. A100
Computerworld - Acer America today unveiled the Iconia Tab A200, an Android-based tablet that will go on sale Jan. 15 in the U.S. starting at $329.99.
The A200 features a 10.1-in. touchscreen, the same size as some earlier Acer tablets. The A200's predecessor, the 7-in. Iconia A100 touchscreen, shipped for the same price in August.
The $330 price puts Acer's devices above the $199 cost of the new Kindle Fire with a 7-in. screen, but below the starting price for the iPad 2, which has a 9.7-in. screen but starts out at $499.
While the A200 will be shipped with Android 3.2 "Honeycomb," a free upgrade to Android 4.0 will be available in mid-February, Acer said.
Acer described the new tablet as "made especially for multimedia enjoyment." It has an HD display with a 1280-by-800 pixel resolution, weigha 1.5 pounds and uses an Nvidia Tegra 2 dual-core mobile processor.
The $329.99 price applies to the 8GB version of the A200; a16GB version will cost $349.99. Both will be available at national retailers, Acer said in a statement.
More tablet info
The table below shows the most recently announced tablets as reported by Computerworld. Click a tablet's name in the leftmost column to read a news story or review with more information about the device, or view a larger table with more details about each product.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Hardware in Computerworld's Hardware Topic Center.
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!