Live TV coming to Metro PCS smartphones later in 2012
Demo of Dyle service to be shown on Samsung smartphones at CES
Computerworld - MetroPCS Communications customers in 14 cities will be able to watch live, local broadcast TV on their mobile phones later in 2012, the company said Wednesday.
MetroPCS partnered with Mobile Content Venture (MCV) to provide Dyle Mobile TV. The service initially will be pre-loaded on a Samsung smartphone that will be available later in 2012, the companies said in a statement. Dyle is the consumer brand created by MCV to deliver live mobile TV content from 15 major broadcast groups such as Cox, Gannett, Fox, NBC and others.
MetroPCS, MCV and Samsung will demonstrate the Dyle live mobile TV service next week at the International CES trade show in Las Vegas.
The carrier listed the following 14 cities as where the Samsung smartphones with Dyle will be available later this year: Atlanta, Boston, Dallas-Fort Worth, Detroit, Jacksonville, Fla.; Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Miami, New York, Orlando, Philadelphia, Sacramento, San Francisco, and Tampa, Fla.
MCV eventually plans to offer mobile video services over 72 TV stations in 32 cities. The Dyle Mobile TV service relies on the Mobile DTV standard approved by the Advanced Television Systems Committee in 2009.
Metro PCS, with about 9 million subscribers, is the nation's fifth-largest wireless carrier.
- Is the 'quantified self' movement just a fad?
- Elgan: Voice, gestures dominate CES
- Windows 8 on ARM: You can look but you can't touch
- Google's Marissa Mayer says more women needed in tech
- Hands on: Sony Xperia Ion smartphone
- New Ford Focus Electric comes with smartphone app
- Insecure Android a myth, Motorola exec says
- For $1000, a chance for tech glory in Vegas
- Buyers hang on for cheaper, faster Windows 8 ultrabooks
- CES: Coming soon, drones for home and office
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!