Live TV coming to Metro PCS smartphones later in 2012
Demo of Dyle service to be shown on Samsung smartphones at CES
Computerworld - MetroPCS Communications customers in 14 cities will be able to watch live, local broadcast TV on their mobile phones later in 2012, the company said Wednesday.
MetroPCS partnered with Mobile Content Venture (MCV) to provide Dyle Mobile TV. The service initially will be pre-loaded on a Samsung smartphone that will be available later in 2012, the companies said in a statement. Dyle is the consumer brand created by MCV to deliver live mobile TV content from 15 major broadcast groups such as Cox, Gannett, Fox, NBC and others.
MetroPCS, MCV and Samsung will demonstrate the Dyle live mobile TV service next week at the International CES trade show in Las Vegas.
The carrier listed the following 14 cities as where the Samsung smartphones with Dyle will be available later this year: Atlanta, Boston, Dallas-Fort Worth, Detroit, Jacksonville, Fla.; Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Miami, New York, Orlando, Philadelphia, Sacramento, San Francisco, and Tampa, Fla.
MCV eventually plans to offer mobile video services over 72 TV stations in 32 cities. The Dyle Mobile TV service relies on the Mobile DTV standard approved by the Advanced Television Systems Committee in 2009.
Metro PCS, with about 9 million subscribers, is the nation's fifth-largest wireless carrier.
- Is the 'quantified self' movement just a fad?
- Elgan: Voice, gestures dominate CES
- Windows 8 on ARM: You can look but you can't touch
- Google's Marissa Mayer says more women needed in tech
- Hands on: Sony Xperia Ion smartphone
- New Ford Focus Electric comes with smartphone app
- Insecure Android a myth, Motorola exec says
- For $1000, a chance for tech glory in Vegas
- Buyers hang on for cheaper, faster Windows 8 ultrabooks
- CES: Coming soon, drones for home and office
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts