Macworld - In the face of an avalanche of bad publicity, domain registrar GoDaddy is being accused by a competitor of dragging its feet on allowing customers to leave its service.
In a post on its blog, fellow domain registrar Namecheap reports that customers trying to transfer their domains away from GoDaddy are being delayed. The post accuses GoDaddy of "returning incomplete WHOIS information" as a part of the transfer process, a practice which is against the rules of ICANN (Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers), the process manager for the domain-name system.
"We suspect that this competitor is thwarting efforts to transfer domains away from them," writes Namecheap Community Manager Tamar Weinberg in the blog post. "We at Namecheap believe that this action speaks volumes about the impact that informed customers are having on GoDaddy's business."
Ross Rader, general manager of Hover, another domain-registration company, said he couldn't confirm Namecheap's accusations. "I have no information other than what each has published and transfers are flowing freely over here," he tweeted.
GoDaddy has been a magnet for controversy. Most recently, it received withering criticism for supporting the Stop Online Piracy Act, then backtracked and pulled its support. The company's sexually suggestive commercials haven't helped, nor has the widely reported recreational elephant hunting of its CEO. The company has also been accused before of delaying Whois updates in violation of ICANN policies.
An email to GoDaddy requesting a comment on Namecheap's accusation hadn't been replied to at the time this story was posted.
Hat tip: Ryan Block and Glenn Fleishman.
- Capabilities You Need in an IP Address Management Solution A mismanaged IP space can cripple an otherwise healthy network. Take a moment to understand what you need in an enterprise-ready IPAM solution.
- IPv6 Fundamentals IPv6 is needed to sustain the growth of the Internet. The transition from IPv4 will require planning and likely some degree of support...
- 3G/4G Digital Signage Guide Today, the widespread availability of 3G and 4G cellular or wireless broadband networks enables digital signage to be deployed virtually anywhere.
- Enterprises in Motion: In-Vehicle Networks In a world where traditional tethers to the central office have all but vanished, enterprises that operate vehicle fleets require constant and dependable...
- On-Demand Webinar: Transform Your Datacenter with Cisco ACI and Citrix NetScaler Learn how Citrix NetScaler -- the leader in public clouds, integrates with Cisco ACI to enable the enterprise network transition to a new...
- Cloud and Collaboration: Driving Your Business Value Mission Critical Cloud from Peer 1 Hosting is enterprise-grade. All Internet White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!