Up-and-coming tech jobs -- and how to land one
Ready for your new job as an augmented reality specialist, a VP of virtualization or a customer sleuth? Here's what you need to know.
With big data, mobile computing, social media, cloud computing and the consumerization of IT all converging on IT in 2012, some new -- and intriguing -- job titles are beginning to emerge.
Computerworld went digging and unearthed a handful of positions you can expect to see popping up more and more -- along with details on what you'll need to land one of them. Read on, future chief agile officers.
Director of cloud transformation
As companies move from the client-server world to one where systems reside in the cloud, they're hiring professionals to oversee the entire strategy, says Al Delattre, global industry lead for technology at Los Angeles recruiting firm Korn/Ferry International.
Whether the position's called director of cloud transformation, vice president of virtualization or cloud transformation officer -- all of those titles are floating out there in the corporate world -- the job description remains roughly the same: Oversee all the moving parts required to make the move to the cloud, Delattre says.
"This position is like being a conductor of an orchestra. It's a series of 500 projects over seven years. You have to make sure it works and it's sequenced," he says. "No one person is an expert on all of it," which means multiple specialists are often involved -- and that, in turn, spurs some companies to seek out an overseeing director.
Delattre likens the move to the cloud to the big ERP projects that swept through organizations in the past decade or so. Now, as then, companies are looking to hire people who can show that they've been able to plan, control and deliver complex, high-risk projects involving technology that's evolving even as the project is underway. "You've got to have that track record. You want someone who has landed on the moon and returned before," Delattre says.
They're also looking for deep knowledge of the organization's applications. "You have to understand the parts you're working with. You need to understand what's in there now," he says. "You need to know that [someone] might have put in a patch 10 years ago and never documented it."
Finally, they're looking for folks skilled in negotiating with and managing vendors. "There is absolutely a skill requirement around procurement, because so much of this is about procuring services," says Delattre.
Once an organization successfully moves to the cloud, does the job go away? Given the complexity of the task, Delattre says, cloud transition managers can expect to stay busy for at least the next several years, before transitions are complete and the job morphs into one focused on maintenance.
"This is a two-to-five-to-seven-year run, similar to what happened when we went from mainframe to client server and then again when we went to the Web," Delattre says.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- The CIO's Guide to Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) This guide will help those making an EMM platform decision make the best choice for their organization.
- Yankee Group: BlackBerry Results Refute Rumors of its Demise Yankee Group: BlackBerry® is stronger than the press makes it out to be.
- Your New EMM Platform: How to Streamline the Migration Smartphone migration can be resource-intensive and challenging. Find out how outsourcing the process can save significant time and money.
- Live Webcast Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing... All Management White Papers | Webcasts