Twitter to open source Android security tech
TextSecure, an Android text messaging client for encrypting messages, is up on GitHub now and other products will follow
IDG News Service - Twitter plans to open source some of the Android security products built by the developers behind Whisper Systems, which Twitter acquired last month.
Twitter is starting with Whisper Systems' TextSecure, an Android text messaging client that encrypts messages. Developers can view the source code at GitHub.
"We hope that as an open source project, TextSecure will be able to reach even more people, with an even larger number of contributors working to make it a great product," developers and Whisper Systems' founders Moxie Marlinspike and Stuart Anderson wrote on the Whisper Systems blog.
Twitter plans to open source "some" of Whisper Systems software but in a blog post about the move it did not specify which other products it would target. Other products include WhisperCore, software that enables full disk encryption and management tools for Android phones, as well as products that offer voice encryption, firewall software and encrypted backup.
When Whisper Systems announced that Twitter was acquiring the company it didn't say much about what Twitter might be planning to do with the technology. Offering the technology to the community so soon after the acquisition could indicate that Twitter made the acquisition primarily for the developer talent.
Whisper Systems' products fill a void in the Android OS, which lacks the kinds of security features that many businesses want. Few other companies are doing full disk encryption for Android, but there are many other companies taking different approaches to securing and managing Android phones. Among them are 3LM, Good Technology, Sybase, BoxTone, Fiberlink and MobileIron.
- Troubleshooting Common Issues in VoIP Learn more about Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), including common VoIP metrics used, best practices in VoIP management and tips and tricks for...
- 2013 Network Management Software (NMS) Buyers Guide This white paper contains an independent comparison study of six different network management solutions and provides guidance on how you can choose the...
- Rightsizing Your Network Performance Management Solution: 4 Case Studies This white paper discusses challenges encountered as organizations search for the most cost-effective network performance management solution.
- Global Growing Pains: Tapping into B2B Integration Services to Overcome Global Expansion Challenges A recent survey by IDG Research explored both the challenges and pain points companies face when growing globally, as well as the capabilities...
- E-Signature RFP Checklist Webcast If your organization is looking to adopt e-signatures, you may be overwhelmed by the number of providers that offer seemingly similar solutions. How...
- Cloud and Collaboration: Driving Your Business Value Mission Critical Cloud from Peer 1 Hosting is enterprise-grade. All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!