Hard drive prices slide as Thai flood aftermath subsides
And SSD prices have dropped by 23% over the past year
Computerworld - The price of the most popular hard disk drives are beginning to drop as inventories climb out of a deep hole that began in October after massive flooding shut down major production sites in Thailand.
Drive maker Western Digital was hardest hit by the flooding, with research firm IDC predicting that up to 75% of the company's production lines were temporarily shut down.
According to new information from ecommerce tracking site Dynamite Data, the top 50 hard drives on sites such as Newegg.com and Tigerdirect.com, leaped in price by 50% to 150% after the flooding. The price jump was kicked off in October when drive inventory levels plummeted 90% in less than a week, according to Kristopher Kubicki, data architect at Dynamite Data.
"The first flooding was Oct. 8 and within a week, two weeks at the most, almost all that inventory at distribution had dried up," Kubicki said. "I'm not sure if that was distributors getting the inventory recalled from them or if it was getting purchased that fast. I think consciously people moved it out of distribution and into system manufacturers."
Over the past few weeks, hard drive prices have leveled off and have begun to drop slowly, according to Dynamite's data.
"For the first time, less than week after Western Digital's first [fabrication plant] went back on line, drive inventory began increasing at both distributors and ecommerce sites, and index prices began coming down a little too," Kubicki said.
IDC has predicted that hard disk drive supply shortages in the wake of Thailand flooding would affect consumers, computer system manufacturers and corporate IT shops into 2013.
Fang Zhang, an analyst with market research firm IHS iSuppli, said he also saw "a few" HDD price drops -- especially in the retail market this month -- from the historical highs after the floods.
However, Zhang cautioned that certain drive inventories are still short, such as 500GB and 1TB capacity models for both desktop and notebook PCs.
- Rethinking Backup and Recovery As enterprises continue to transform their data centers, and virtualization plays an increasing role in their IT infrastructures, the way data is backed...
- Archiving benefits more than just email Many organizations assume archiving is mostly related to email and compliance; however, archiving is associated with a wide range of business improvements.
- Server and System Admins Challenged to Keep Up with Storage Explosion Read this whitepaper to learn how administrators are leveraging their existing skills to simplify the management of storage and servers.
- Administrators need an agile platform to usher the new era of enterprise storage Read this whitepaper and learn how administrators are keeping up by guiding their enterprises toward new, software-defined storage platforms that simplify and unify...
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to...
- Vblock™ Specialized System for SAP HANA® Deploy SAP HANA® fast and with low risk. VCE brings together all of the necessary components for SAP HANA® into a single, standardized... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts
Computerworld has launched its annual search for outstanding IT leaders who align technology with business goals. Nominate a top IT executive for the 2015 Premier 100 IT Leaders awards now through July 18.