MIT to open-source educational software
University expands its OpenCourseWare to offer accreditation
IDG News Service - As part of an initiative to expand its online course offerings, MIT announced on Monday that it plans to release as open source the software it will use to manage student online learning.
The new initiative, called MITx, will build upon the university's popular online offering, called OpenCourseWare, a free repository of most of the institute's undergraduate and graduate course materials. In operation for 10 years, OpenCourseWare includes materials for nearly 2,100 courses, which have been accessed by over 100 million people around the globe.
MITx will offer all the material needed for taking college courses online, and the institute will offer credits for completed work. MIT students will also use the platform to access material from their own classes.
The institute will also make the MITx online interactive platform available for other educational institutions to use as well, through an open source license. The software could be used for online courses not only by other higher education institutions, but also by trade schools and even primary education institutions, according to MIT.
The enhanced online offering should accelerate the global interest in distance learning, and better allow MIT to fulfill its mission of educating people around the world, said MIT President Susan Hockfield, in a statement.
The organization is still working through the details of how the MITx certification will work, but will offer the accreditation for a modest fee. MITx students will not be able to receive degrees through MITx, however. MIT Provost L. Rafael Reif is leading the effort.
MIT will launch MITx early in 2012, and release the software sometime after that, when it is in stable form. OpenCourseWare will continue to offer materials online for no cost.
- Troubleshooting Common Issues in VoIP Learn more about Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), including common VoIP metrics used, best practices in VoIP management and tips and tricks for...
- IDG Research Survey: Are you Paying Too Much for Your NMS? Feel like you're paying too much for network monitoring? You're not alone. This survey brief summarizes findings from research recently fielded by IDG...
- 2013 Network Management Software (NMS) Buyers Guide This white paper contains an independent comparison study of six different network management solutions and provides guidance on how you can choose the...
- Rightsizing Your Network Performance Management Solution: 4 Case Studies This white paper discusses challenges encountered as organizations search for the most cost-effective network performance management solution.
- Tips to Simplify Database Administration and Development Make your job easier while getting the most from the leading productivity tool for database professionals. Learn tips from Dell Software's Oracle® ACE,...
- E-Signature RFP Checklist Webcast If your organization is looking to adopt e-signatures, you may be overwhelmed by the number of providers that offer seemingly similar solutions. How... All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!