IT jobs are up, Fairness for High-Skilled Immigrants Act stalls
Computerworld - A U.S. government report showing that hiring is up had some good news for IT workers: The tech industry added about 7,100 jobs in November, an increase of 0.17% from the previous month.
At the same time, Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) moved to block legislation that would eliminate per-country caps on employer- sponsored green cards.
According to U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics data analyzed by the industry group TechServe Alliance, the overall employment number for the tech industry reached almost 4.068 million last month, representing a year-over-year gain of 2.1%. The total is close to the all-time high of 4.088 million reached in June 2008, according to TechServe.
IT pay might be seeing gains as well, though the data supporting that is more anecdotal.
The TechServe Alliance total considers only high-tech industry workers; it might not account for someone working in IT at, say, a food manufacturer.
Mark Roberts, CEO of the alliance, said his member firms are seeing strong IT demand. "I remain very bullish going into 2012," he said.
Meanwhile, Grassley said he is blocking Senate action on the so-called Fairness for High-Skilled Immigrants Act because "it does nothing to better protect Americans." The bill had sailed through the U.S. House in late November on a 389-15 vote.
Grassley didn't say what changes he's seeking, but he placed the bill on hold, putting it into a procedural limbo that could sink it.
This version of this story was originally published in Computerworld's print edition. It was adapted from an article that appeared earlier on Computerworld.com.
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- Global Growing Pains: Tapping into B2B Integration Services to Overcome Global Expansion Challenges A recent survey by IDG Research explored both the challenges and pain points companies face when growing globally, as well as the capabilities...
- PCI 3.0 Compliance In this white paper, learn how PCI-DSS 3.0 effects how you deploy and maintain PCI compliant networks using CradlePoint devices.
- Defense throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle with Alert Logic Threat and Log Manager New security threats are emerging all the time, from new forms of malware and web application exploits that target code vulnerabilities to attacks...
- QA Automation: Reducing Test Execution While Improving Coverage A leading capital investment firm in the US was in need of a comprehensive, cost effective and flexible solution to reduce their existing...
- E-Signature RFP Checklist Webcast If your organization is looking to adopt e-signatures, you may be overwhelmed by the number of providers that offer seemingly similar solutions. How...
- Expert Panel: Enterprise Mobility and Data Loss Prevention When it comes to enterprise mobility, it's not just about devices, it's about the way people work. Hear this expert panel discuss the... All Management White Papers | Webcasts