Feds launch 'Healthy App Challenge'
Surgeon General hopes to encourage development of health apps that spur exercise, healthy eating
Computerworld - The federal government has launched a program to promote private-side development of innovative new applications that promote fitness, nutrition and integrative health.
The Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology (ONC) has partnered with the Surgeon General to launch the Healthy App Challenge, which invites developers to submit health, wellness, and fitness apps.
This developer's challenge is designed to encourage Americans to user of consumer-facing technology to address the nation's fitness problems.
"Consumer electronic health (e-health), new media, and mobile technologies have great potential to connect individuals, including those in underserved and hard-to-reach communities, to health care resources and decision-making supports, enabling healthier lifestyle decisions," the Surgeon General's office said in a statement. "The challenge will highlight a selection of mobile apps in support of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) efforts to empower individuals to make healthy choices using electronic technology."
The government is considering applications in the following categories:
- Fitness/physical activity, or apps aimed at recruiting people who are not currently regularly exercising.
- Nutrition/healthy eating, or apps aimed at helping to quickly prepared healthy home meals, to eat out sensibly and to find healthy food when traveling.
- And integrative health apps that show how to integrate aspects of wellness, such as healthy sleep habits, boosting mental/spiritual health, lifestyle behavior change, social health, family health and community health.
The Surgeon General will use each of the winning applications and publicize her experiences via social media.
Additionally, the winning apps will be featured on the HealthIT.gov and HealthIT.HHS.gov Web sites. The Official Rulesegister rules and registration information is available at the Challenge.gov portal.
Registration is free and can be completed anytime during the Application Submission Period, December 6, 2011, to December 30, 2011.
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian, or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Healthcare IT in Computerworld's Healthcare IT Topic Center.
Apple has assembled an all-star team featuring some of the world's most proficient and well-connected biosensor engineers. Is this extensive investment entirely dedicated to an iPhone app called Healthbook and an accessory called an iWatch?
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Patient Portals: A Platform for Connecting Communities of Care
- Connecting patient health data across the care continuum is essential to achieve improved care, increased access to personal health records and lowered costs.
- 3 Ways Clinicians Can Leverage a Patient Portal to Craft a Healthcare Community
- With a bevy of vendors offering patient portal solutions, it can be challenging for a hospital to know where to start. Fortunately, YourCareCommunity...
- Healthcare Firm Ramps Up for Claims Processing Spikes
- Huge increases in claims processing loads and stringent SLAs for Medicaid patients prompted Molina Healthcare to enhance their IT infrastructure with VCE.
- Path Selection Infographic
- Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic
- A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster... All Healthcare IT White Papers
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the...
- Endpoint Data Management: Protecting the Perimeter of the Internet of Things Not surprisingly, "Internet of Things" (IoT) and Big Data present new challenges AND opportunities for enterprise IT. Teams need to harness, secure and...
- All Healthcare IT Webcasts