Feds launch 'Healthy App Challenge'
Surgeon General hopes to encourage development of health apps that spur exercise, healthy eating
Computerworld - The federal government has launched a program to promote private-side development of innovative new applications that promote fitness, nutrition and integrative health.
The Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology (ONC) has partnered with the Surgeon General to launch the Healthy App Challenge, which invites developers to submit health, wellness, and fitness apps.
This developer's challenge is designed to encourage Americans to user of consumer-facing technology to address the nation's fitness problems.
"Consumer electronic health (e-health), new media, and mobile technologies have great potential to connect individuals, including those in underserved and hard-to-reach communities, to health care resources and decision-making supports, enabling healthier lifestyle decisions," the Surgeon General's office said in a statement. "The challenge will highlight a selection of mobile apps in support of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) efforts to empower individuals to make healthy choices using electronic technology."
The government is considering applications in the following categories:
- Fitness/physical activity, or apps aimed at recruiting people who are not currently regularly exercising.
- Nutrition/healthy eating, or apps aimed at helping to quickly prepared healthy home meals, to eat out sensibly and to find healthy food when traveling.
- And integrative health apps that show how to integrate aspects of wellness, such as healthy sleep habits, boosting mental/spiritual health, lifestyle behavior change, social health, family health and community health.
The Surgeon General will use each of the winning applications and publicize her experiences via social media.
Additionally, the winning apps will be featured on the HealthIT.gov and HealthIT.HHS.gov Web sites. The Official Rulesegister rules and registration information is available at the Challenge.gov portal.
Registration is free and can be completed anytime during the Application Submission Period, December 6, 2011, to December 30, 2011.
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian, or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Healthcare IT in Computerworld's Healthcare IT Topic Center.
- The 20 Best iPhone/iPad Games of 2013 So Far
- 9 Steps to Build Your Personal Brand (and Your Career)
- 7 Consumer Technologies Coming to an Enterprise Near You
- 11 Signs Your IT Project is Doomed
- A walking tour: 33 questions to ask about your company's security
- 15 social media scams
- The 7 elements of a successful security awareness program
With the promise of big data (solving the unsolvable problems, informing better decision making, creating new products and services, discovering patterns and acting on them, etc.) on the horizon, what has really changed? Does this mean that everything we know and do with not-so-big data should be tossed?
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Case Study: Hospital Turns to Email Archiving Solution to Ensure Regulatory Compliances
- Read this case study to learn how a cloud-based email archiving solution enabled the hospital to meet government mandates and helps avoid thousands...
- Case Study: In-the-Cloud Email Service Replaces Three Point Products
- Read this case study for more information on a comprehensive in-the-cloud email service to help replace three point products.
- Case Study: Simplifying the Transition to Exchange 2010 with Email Management Solutions
- Read this case study to learn how a cloud-based email management solution greatly simplified the company's transition to Exchange 2010.
- Intelligent Systems: A Prescription for Health Care Transformation
- Facing an onslaught of regulatory changes and market pressures, health care providers are grappling with how to transform existing services as part of...
- The Importance of Network Time Synchronization
- Your network is time stamping files, email, transactions, etc., while your server logs are recording the transactions in case you need that information.... All Healthcare IT White Papers
- Becoming An Analytics Driven Organization
- Join us on Tuesday, June 18, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT and learn how your agency can create an analytics culture that will enable...
- 3 Reasons Why Sepaton is the World's Fastest Backup Solution
- Leading analyst, Storage Switzerland learns how Sepaton backs up and deduplicates massive data volumes while maintaining the industry's fastest performance - all in...
- Enterprise File Sharing: All You Need to Know
- Security. Scalability. Control. These are just some of the many benefits of enterprise cloud file-sharing that you'll discover in this KnowledgeVault, packed with...
- Bridging HTTP and FTP with FileXpress Internet Server
- What if you could take an FTP server on your internal network, and allow external users (partners or customers) to securely access it...
- MFT and FileXpress - An Overview
- Business users and applications exchange files on a regular basis. File transfer is a core part of the flow of business activity. All Healthcare IT Webcasts