Feds launch 'Healthy App Challenge'
Surgeon General hopes to encourage development of health apps that spur exercise, healthy eating
Computerworld - The federal government has launched a program to promote private-side development of innovative new applications that promote fitness, nutrition and integrative health.
The Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology (ONC) has partnered with the Surgeon General to launch the Healthy App Challenge, which invites developers to submit health, wellness, and fitness apps.
This developer's challenge is designed to encourage Americans to user of consumer-facing technology to address the nation's fitness problems.
"Consumer electronic health (e-health), new media, and mobile technologies have great potential to connect individuals, including those in underserved and hard-to-reach communities, to health care resources and decision-making supports, enabling healthier lifestyle decisions," the Surgeon General's office said in a statement. "The challenge will highlight a selection of mobile apps in support of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) efforts to empower individuals to make healthy choices using electronic technology."
The government is considering applications in the following categories:
- Fitness/physical activity, or apps aimed at recruiting people who are not currently regularly exercising.
- Nutrition/healthy eating, or apps aimed at helping to quickly prepared healthy home meals, to eat out sensibly and to find healthy food when traveling.
- And integrative health apps that show how to integrate aspects of wellness, such as healthy sleep habits, boosting mental/spiritual health, lifestyle behavior change, social health, family health and community health.
The Surgeon General will use each of the winning applications and publicize her experiences via social media.
Additionally, the winning apps will be featured on the HealthIT.gov and HealthIT.HHS.gov Web sites. The Official Rulesegister rules and registration information is available at the Challenge.gov portal.
Registration is free and can be completed anytime during the Application Submission Period, December 6, 2011, to December 30, 2011.
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian, or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Healthcare IT in Computerworld's Healthcare IT Topic Center.
Apple does more to ensure its solutions are accessible to a wide range of users than any other platform, in spite of any drivel suggesting otherwise.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Security, Privacy and Trust in Email Management
- This white paper discusses a SaaS-based email management solution that delivers the security, continuity and archiving capabilities your organization demands.
- The Total Cost of Email
- In this white paper, we'll explore the true costs of fragmented email management and uncover how to reduce those costs with a cloud-based...
- Balancing Security, Compliance and Cost: the Prescription for Healthcare Email Management: Move to the Cloud
- Learn how cloud-based technologies for core productivity tools such as email and collaboration can help healthcare organizations be more efficient with IT dollars...
- Email Security Checklist: Eight Steps for Healthcare Organizations
- Don't let fear of violating Healthcare Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) codes prevent you from using email to communicate sensitive information.
- Seven questions you must ask before choosing your patient portal solution
- By asking the right questions and connecting the right stakeholders, you can ensure that you implement a true community solution that will improve... All Healthcare IT White Papers
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- Leveraging Flash Storage to Accelerate Oracle Real Application Clusters Join this webinar to understand the latest solid-state storage trends, the specific applications driving solid-state storage deployments and the benefits of deploying the...
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to...
- All Healthcare IT Webcasts