Seattle hospital finds zero clients means better care, lower costs
Children's Hospital uses 2,600 zero clients, Citrix XenDesktop, Cisco Unified Computer server for quick access to patient medical data
Computerworld - Seattle Children's Hospital has installed 2,600 zero client devices in four locations, many connected with a wireless LAN that helps doctors and nurses access patient data at the bedside within seconds.
The project launched a year ago hasn't only been helpful to users, said Wes Wright, chief technology officer at Seattle Children's.
The move is also expected to produce some $400,000 in annual savings on power consumption by replacing 70 watt desktop computers with the 7 watt zero clients from Wyse.
"That's absolute savings," Wright said in an interview.
He didn't disclose the cost of upgrading to the zero client devices, however.
Seattle Children's is able to put the Wyse zero clients on carts -- called Computers on Wheels -- for use in patient rooms and elsewhere where medical personnel can consult a person's health history by connecting to a database over the center's wireless LAN, Wright said.
Clinicians have been positive about the change, he said.
"They can walk into a patient's room and within seconds access all their information -- it's much more efficient and provides more time for patient and provider information," Wright said.
Seattle Children's also uses Cisco's Unified Computing System, whose server has been able to provide a "massive amount of storage RAM," Wright said.
"It's been a super solid platform, and there's not been a single hardware failure," he said.
Citrix XenDesktop is hosted on the UCS to consolidate data and applications in the data center. The center supports remote connections to a range of user devices and is currently in a beta test of Cisco's Cius tablet.
The entire upgrade was not simple, however, Wright said.
"It takes a lot of pre work to get it right," he said. "You can't just buy the software and stand up and make it go. There was a lot of workflow needed before the virtual desktop [was implemented]. Thankfully, we still need people for these projects."
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen, or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Healthcare IT in Computerworld's Healthcare IT Topic Center.
Apple does more to ensure its solutions are accessible to a wide range of users than any other platform, in spite of any drivel suggesting otherwise.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Security, Privacy and Trust in Email Management
- This white paper discusses a SaaS-based email management solution that delivers the security, continuity and archiving capabilities your organization demands.
- The Total Cost of Email
- In this white paper, we'll explore the true costs of fragmented email management and uncover how to reduce those costs with a cloud-based...
- Balancing Security, Compliance and Cost: the Prescription for Healthcare Email Management: Move to the Cloud
- Learn how cloud-based technologies for core productivity tools such as email and collaboration can help healthcare organizations be more efficient with IT dollars...
- Email Security Checklist: Eight Steps for Healthcare Organizations
- Don't let fear of violating Healthcare Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) codes prevent you from using email to communicate sensitive information.
- Seven questions you must ask before choosing your patient portal solution
- By asking the right questions and connecting the right stakeholders, you can ensure that you implement a true community solution that will improve... All Healthcare IT White Papers
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer...
- Charting Your Analytical Future - "Making predictive analytics part of your business processes" Webinar This session will show how predictive analytics can be used throughout the organization by anyone looking for answers and how organizations can make...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- All Healthcare IT Webcasts