Seattle hospital finds zero clients means better care, lower costs
Children's Hospital uses 2,600 zero clients, Citrix XenDesktop, Cisco Unified Computer server for quick access to patient medical data
Computerworld - Seattle Children's Hospital has installed 2,600 zero client devices in four locations, many connected with a wireless LAN that helps doctors and nurses access patient data at the bedside within seconds.
The project launched a year ago hasn't only been helpful to users, said Wes Wright, chief technology officer at Seattle Children's.
The move is also expected to produce some $400,000 in annual savings on power consumption by replacing 70 watt desktop computers with the 7 watt zero clients from Wyse.
"That's absolute savings," Wright said in an interview.
He didn't disclose the cost of upgrading to the zero client devices, however.
Seattle Children's is able to put the Wyse zero clients on carts -- called Computers on Wheels -- for use in patient rooms and elsewhere where medical personnel can consult a person's health history by connecting to a database over the center's wireless LAN, Wright said.
Clinicians have been positive about the change, he said.
"They can walk into a patient's room and within seconds access all their information -- it's much more efficient and provides more time for patient and provider information," Wright said.
Seattle Children's also uses Cisco's Unified Computing System, whose server has been able to provide a "massive amount of storage RAM," Wright said.
"It's been a super solid platform, and there's not been a single hardware failure," he said.
Citrix XenDesktop is hosted on the UCS to consolidate data and applications in the data center. The center supports remote connections to a range of user devices and is currently in a beta test of Cisco's Cius tablet.
The entire upgrade was not simple, however, Wright said.
"It takes a lot of pre work to get it right," he said. "You can't just buy the software and stand up and make it go. There was a lot of workflow needed before the virtual desktop [was implemented]. Thankfully, we still need people for these projects."
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen, or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Healthcare IT in Computerworld's Healthcare IT Topic Center.
Apple continues work on iOS 8, but its latest developer release underlines the importance of new sensor technologies as it pulls together a private and secure mobile foundation to support the digital health industry.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- 2014 Healthcare Data Management Survey Summary
- This report provides insights into how much information Healthcare IT organizations are managing, the rate of data growth they are experiencing and which...
- Selecting Foundational Controls Makes HIPAA Compliance Easier
- In this Dell Software white paper, learn more about HIPAA and IT security compliance - straight from an auditor - and discover how...
- Security, Privacy and Trust in Email Management
- This white paper discusses a SaaS-based email management solution that delivers the security, continuity and archiving capabilities your organization demands.
- The Total Cost of Email
- In this white paper, we'll explore the true costs of fragmented email management and uncover how to reduce those costs with a cloud-based...
- Balancing Security, Compliance and Cost: the Prescription for Healthcare Email Management: Move to the Cloud
- Learn how cloud-based technologies for core productivity tools such as email and collaboration can help healthcare organizations be more efficient with IT dollars... All Healthcare IT White Papers
- API Management: The Key to Improving the Consumer Travel Experience Join PhoCusWright's Senior Technology Analyst, Norm Rose, as he shares his insights on how travel suppliers and intermediaries can improve industry data flow...
- Tips to Simplify Database Administration and Development Make your job easier while getting the most from the leading productivity tool for database professionals. Learn tips from Dell Software's Oracle® ACE,...
- E-Signature RFP Checklist Webcast If your organization is looking to adopt e-signatures, you may be overwhelmed by the number of providers that offer seemingly similar solutions. How...
- On-Demand Webinar: Transform Your Datacenter with Cisco ACI and Citrix NetScaler Learn how Citrix NetScaler -- the leader in public clouds, integrates with Cisco ACI to enable the enterprise network transition to a new...
- Cloud and Collaboration: Driving Your Business Value Mission Critical Cloud from Peer 1 Hosting is enterprise-grade.
- All Healthcare IT Webcasts