Windows Phone bug reportedly disables messaging
The Windows Phone messaging hub is disabled by sending certain a text string, according to the Winrumors blog
IDG News Service - A reported vulnerability in Windows Phone causes its messaging features to be disabled after the device is sent a specific SMS or chat message.
The bug was reported to the blog Winrumors by Khaled Salameh, wrote Tom Warren, who runs the Microsoft-focused website. Warren wrote that both are in the process of notifying Microsoft.
In a video, Warren shows that after a Windows Phone device receives the message, it then shuts down. Upon reboot, the messaging hub tile does not work despite repeated attempts. The denial-of-service issue also occurs if a person is sent a specific Facebook or Windows Live Messenger chat message.
Winrumors ran tests on the HTC Titan, the Samsung Focus Flash and others running the 7740 version of Windows Phone 7.5 and the Mango RTM build 7720, Warren wrote. "At this stage, there doesn't appear to be a workaround to fix the messaging hub apart from hard resetting and wiping the device," he wrote.
The bug appears to have other strange effects. Warren found that a live tile featuring updates from a Facebook friend will lock up if that friend posts a particular message. Warren wrote that problem could be avoided by initially booting up a device, getting past the lock screen quickly and then removing the live tile before it flips over and locks the device.
Microsoft officials were not immediately available for comment.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Radicati: Cloud Business Email - Market Quadrant 2013 Google was named the top cloud business email provider in a recent report by research firm Radicati. Out of 14 key players, Google...
- Tablets in the Enterprise: A Checklist for Successful Deployment How can you enterprise manage and secure tablets in order to protect corporate data while providing access to the information and applications employees...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- Enterprise File Sync & Share Checklist File sync and share has changed the way people work and collaborate in today's tech-savvy world. Gone are the email roadblocks, clunky FTP...
- Live Webcast LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All Security White Papers | Webcasts