Windows Phone bug reportedly disables messaging
The Windows Phone messaging hub is disabled by sending certain a text string, according to the Winrumors blog
IDG News Service - A reported vulnerability in Windows Phone causes its messaging features to be disabled after the device is sent a specific SMS or chat message.
The bug was reported to the blog Winrumors by Khaled Salameh, wrote Tom Warren, who runs the Microsoft-focused website. Warren wrote that both are in the process of notifying Microsoft.
In a video, Warren shows that after a Windows Phone device receives the message, it then shuts down. Upon reboot, the messaging hub tile does not work despite repeated attempts. The denial-of-service issue also occurs if a person is sent a specific Facebook or Windows Live Messenger chat message.
Winrumors ran tests on the HTC Titan, the Samsung Focus Flash and others running the 7740 version of Windows Phone 7.5 and the Mango RTM build 7720, Warren wrote. "At this stage, there doesn't appear to be a workaround to fix the messaging hub apart from hard resetting and wiping the device," he wrote.
The bug appears to have other strange effects. Warren found that a live tile featuring updates from a Facebook friend will lock up if that friend posts a particular message. Warren wrote that problem could be avoided by initially booting up a device, getting past the lock screen quickly and then removing the live tile before it flips over and locks the device.
Microsoft officials were not immediately available for comment.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- Mobile Policy Checklist Here's what to consider when putting together a mobile policy designed to support a highly productive workforce.
- Securing BYOD Mobile computing is becoming so ubiquitous that people no longer bat an eye seeing someone working two devices simultaneously. Individuals and organizations are...
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Endpoint Backup & Restore: Protect Everyone, Everywhere Arek Sokol from the bleeding-edge IT team at Genentech/Roche explains how he leverages cross-platform enterprise endpoint backup in the public cloud as part...
- Streamline Software Asset Management, Compose a software Management Symphony Keeping track of your organization's software is easy with effective software management solutions from CDW. View the videos in our software solutions channel
- Druva inSync: Endpoint Data Protection & Governance CLICK HERE to watch this video about protecting corporate data on laptops and mobile devices, sponsored by Druva. All Security White Papers | Webcasts