Windows Phone bug reportedly disables messaging
The Windows Phone messaging hub is disabled by sending certain a text string, according to the Winrumors blog
IDG News Service - A reported vulnerability in Windows Phone causes its messaging features to be disabled after the device is sent a specific SMS or chat message.
The bug was reported to the blog Winrumors by Khaled Salameh, wrote Tom Warren, who runs the Microsoft-focused website. Warren wrote that both are in the process of notifying Microsoft.
In a video, Warren shows that after a Windows Phone device receives the message, it then shuts down. Upon reboot, the messaging hub tile does not work despite repeated attempts. The denial-of-service issue also occurs if a person is sent a specific Facebook or Windows Live Messenger chat message.
Winrumors ran tests on the HTC Titan, the Samsung Focus Flash and others running the 7740 version of Windows Phone 7.5 and the Mango RTM build 7720, Warren wrote. "At this stage, there doesn't appear to be a workaround to fix the messaging hub apart from hard resetting and wiping the device," he wrote.
The bug appears to have other strange effects. Warren found that a live tile featuring updates from a Facebook friend will lock up if that friend posts a particular message. Warren wrote that problem could be avoided by initially booting up a device, getting past the lock screen quickly and then removing the live tile before it flips over and locks the device.
Microsoft officials were not immediately available for comment.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Troubleshooting Common Issues in VoIP Learn more about Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), including common VoIP metrics used, best practices in VoIP management and tips and tricks for...
- 2013 Network Management Software (NMS) Buyers Guide This white paper contains an independent comparison study of six different network management solutions and provides guidance on how you can choose the...
- Rightsizing Your Network Performance Management Solution: 4 Case Studies This white paper discusses challenges encountered as organizations search for the most cost-effective network performance management solution.
- Global Growing Pains: Tapping into B2B Integration Services to Overcome Global Expansion Challenges A recent survey by IDG Research explored both the challenges and pain points companies face when growing globally, as well as the capabilities...
- E-Signature RFP Checklist Webcast If your organization is looking to adopt e-signatures, you may be overwhelmed by the number of providers that offer seemingly similar solutions. How...
- Cloud and Collaboration: Driving Your Business Value Mission Critical Cloud from Peer 1 Hosting is enterprise-grade. All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!