Startup founded by ex-Cisco execs pushes software-defined networking
Embrane was founded in 2009 by former Cisco executives Dante Malagrin and Marco Di Benedetto, Embrane's CTO. Malagrin and Di Benedetto were early members of the Andiamo Systems team, a storage networking company funded and acquired by Cisco, as well as Nuova Systems, the company that provided Cisco with its unified computing technology.
MORE NEWCOMERS: 7 hot storage startups to watch
At Cisco, Malagrin helped develop and market Cisco's Data Center 3.0 strategy, which stressed virtualization and a unified fabric. Di Benedetto architected the core elements of Cisco's NX-OS data center operating system.
Other Embrane executives are from 3Com, HP, Juniper, Oracle, Alactel-Lucent, Array Networks and Palo Alto Networks. Embrane has raised $27 million since its founding.
The company's product is Heleos, a distributed software platform for virtualizing Layer 4-7 services like load balancing, firewalling, VPNs and the like. It allows cloud service providers and enterprises to create cloud infrastructure-as-a-service models for their customers by enabling on-demand procurement, provisioning and configuration of these services.
New instances of network services can be up and running in less than two minutes, and capacity can be scaled up or down in less than a minute, Embrane says. This is in contrast to traditional legacy, hardware-based implementations that are rigid, costly, tend to be overprovisioned, have no programmability and limited multi-tenancy options, and come with complicated software licensing terms, Embrane says.
Available today are the Heleos Elastic Services Manager -- the dashboard into the virtualized service environment -- and load balancing and firewall/VPN distributed virtual appliances. The software runs on standard x86 hardware.
Embrane's Heleos also supports "keyless" licensing in which customers only pay for what they sell or use based on usage, or on an annual subscription.
Competitors to Embrane's Heleos would be any vendor developing and marketing virtualized appliances and/or services on x86 hardware. Vyatta is an example of one such company, particularly on the firewall/VPN offering, Embrane officials say.
Investors in Embrane Lightspeed Venture Partners, NEA and North Bridge Venture Partners.
Read more about data center in Network World's Data Center section.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- ERP in the Cloud and the Modern Business View IDC's White Paper, to review IDC CloudTrack Survey findings, gain expert insight into the challenges and opportunities the cloud presents, and determine...
- Oracle ERP Cloud Service - Back-Office Solutions that Keep You in Front Learn how you can harness the power of the cloud to run your business more effectively and lower upfront costs.
- Integration with Oracle Fusion Financials Cloud Service While moving your financial system to the cloud may seem straightforward, truly realizing the advantages of the cloud requires a complete understanding how...
- Hadoop for Dummies Today, organizations in every industry are being showered with imposing quantities of new information. Along with traditional sources, many more data channels and...
- Live Webcast Best Practices: How to Improve Business Continuity with Virtualization VMware solutions include a range of business continuity capabilities to help ensure availability for applications across your virtualized environment. Learn More>>
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- Endpoint Data Management: Protecting the Perimeter of the Internet of Things Not surprisingly, "Internet of Things" (IoT) and Big Data present new challenges AND opportunities for enterprise IT. Teams need to harness, secure and... All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts