In depth: Using the Kindle Fire vs. the Kobo Vox vs. the Nook Tablet
After testing the 3 top color e-readers, Preston Gralla explains which he likes best -- and why.
Computerworld - With the holiday season in full force, a lot of gift-givers are going to be considering one of the new color e-readers that have been introduced recently: Amazon's Kindle Fire, the Kobo Vox and Barnes & Noble's Nook Tablet.
Many people are still unsure whether these devices should be considered high-end e-readers or low-end tablets. The 7-in. tablets are designed to read books, of course, just like their smaller, simpler e-ink predecessors. They do a lot more as well, including letting you watch TV and movies, listen to music, browse the Web, check email and run apps.
However, they are smaller and not as fully featured as tablets such as the Apple iPad 2 or the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1. But they are not as expensive either; while both the iPad 2 and the Galaxy Tab 10.1 start at about $499, the Kindle Fire and Kobo Vox each cost $199, while the Nook Tablet runs a bit higher at $249.
After taking an initial look at the three e-readers when they were released in November, I lived for several weeks with them and put them through their paces: reading and buying books, watching TV and movies, listening to music, checking email, running apps -- pretty much anything you'd do with an e-reader. As a result, I was able to come to some pretty definite conclusions.
So if an e-reader is in your holiday plans or beyond, check out my in-depth look at which is the best and why.
|Amazon Kindle Fire||Barnes & Noble Nook Tablet||Kobo Vox|
|Processor||TI OMAP 4 dual core||1GB TI OMAP 4 dual core||800MHz|
|MicroSD card||No (cloud storage)||Yes||Yes|
|Display||7-in. IPS (In-Plan Switching), 1024 x 600||7-in. VividView IPS, 1024 x 600||7-in. FFS+ (Fringe Field Switching), 1024 x 600|
|Android||Gingerbread (2.3)||Gingerbread (2.3)||Gingerbread (2.3)|
|App store||Amazon AppStore||Nook Apps||GetJar|
|Size||7.5 x 4.7 x .45 in.||8.1 x 5.0 x .48 in.||7.57 x 5.06 x 0.53 in.|
|Weight||14.6 oz.||14.1 oz.||14.2 oz.|
|Built-in streaming media services||Netflix, Hulu Plus, Pandora, Amazon Cloud media player, Amazon Prime||Netflix, Hulu Plus, Pandora||None|
|Document formats||Kindle (AZW), TXT, PDF, unprotected MOBI, PRC natively, DOC, DOCX||ePub, PDF, LS, DOC, PPT, TXT, DOCM, XLSM, PPTM, PPSX, PPSM, DOCX, XLX, PPTX||ePUB (including fixed layout and enhanced)|
|Media formats||Audible (Audible Enhanced AA, AAX), JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP, non-DRM AAC, MP3, MIDI, OGG, WAV, MP4, VP8||MP4, Flash, 3GP, 3G2 MKV, WEBM (Video Codecs: H.264, MPEG-4, H.263, VP8), JPG, GIF, PNG, BMP, MP3, MP4, AAC, AMR, WAV, OGG (Audio Codecs MP3, AAC, AMR, LPCM, OGG Vorbis)||JPG, PNG, GIF, BMP, MP3, AAC, 3GP, MP4, M4A, FLAC, OGG, WAV, MID, WEBM|
|Content source||Kindle Store||Nook Store||Kobo Store|
|Battery life (as claimed by vendor with Wi-Fi off)||8 hours of continuous reading or 7.5 hours of video playback||11.5 hours of continuous reading, or 9 hours of video playback||7 hours|
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts