IBM buys e-commerce analytics vendor Demandtec for $440M
The move builds out IBM's Smarter Commerce portfolio
IDG News Service - IBM is buying analytics vendor DemandTec for $440 million in a bid to build out its line of e-commerce software, the companies announced Thursday. The transaction is expected to close in the first quarter of next year.
DemandTec's cloud-based applications are used by retailers to fine-tune pricing strategies and product offerings on an ongoing basis in order to improve business.
The various modules approach this general theme from many perspectives, according to descriptions on DemandTec's website. Some allow companies to determine the best product mix on a local basis by "taking shopper demand, space, productivity, and profitability into account," it states. Another helps determine the best pricing on a given item throughout its lifecycle, while others focus on targeted marketing campaigns.
DemandTec also offers a number of partner-provided services. One of the latest features long-term weather forecasting data from Weather Trends International.
DemandTec's offerings will be rolled into IBM's Smarter Commerce family of products, which also includes the business-to-business data integration technology the company gained through the $1.4 billion acquisition of Sterling Commerce in 2010.
IBM "is redefining how brands buy, market, sell and service their customers in ways that their customers want," said Craig Hayman, general manager of industry solutions, in a statement. "Bringing science to the art of pricing and promotion is a big part of this strategy."
The DemandTec purchase will also give IBM 450 additional customers among some of the world's largest retailers, including Target and Walmart.
Chris Kanaracus covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Chris's e-mail address is Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
- What is this "File Sync" Thing and Why Should I Care About It? All of a sudden, getting a file from your work laptop to your iPad became as simple as clicking "Save." So it's no...
- The Truth About Cloud Security "Security" is the number one issue holding business leaders back from the cloud. But does the reality match the perception?
- Transform IT: Transform the Enterprise This paper provides IT leaders with insight into three IT imperatives that 24 CIOs and senior IT executives used to reposition IT and...
- Case Study Adopting ITSM Tech to Support ITIL Initiatives CIO Bart Murphy Improves Service Delivery while Lowering Costs by consolidating services across 6 business units.
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer...
- ElectricAccelerator: Dramatically Faster Builds and Test ElectricAccelerator dramatically speeds up builds and test by parallelizing jobs across clusters of physical or cloud CPUs. All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!