IBM buys e-commerce analytics vendor Demandtec for $440M
The move builds out IBM's Smarter Commerce portfolio
IDG News Service - IBM is buying analytics vendor DemandTec for $440 million in a bid to build out its line of e-commerce software, the companies announced Thursday. The transaction is expected to close in the first quarter of next year.
DemandTec's cloud-based applications are used by retailers to fine-tune pricing strategies and product offerings on an ongoing basis in order to improve business.
The various modules approach this general theme from many perspectives, according to descriptions on DemandTec's website. Some allow companies to determine the best product mix on a local basis by "taking shopper demand, space, productivity, and profitability into account," it states. Another helps determine the best pricing on a given item throughout its lifecycle, while others focus on targeted marketing campaigns.
DemandTec also offers a number of partner-provided services. One of the latest features long-term weather forecasting data from Weather Trends International.
DemandTec's offerings will be rolled into IBM's Smarter Commerce family of products, which also includes the business-to-business data integration technology the company gained through the $1.4 billion acquisition of Sterling Commerce in 2010.
IBM "is redefining how brands buy, market, sell and service their customers in ways that their customers want," said Craig Hayman, general manager of industry solutions, in a statement. "Bringing science to the art of pricing and promotion is a big part of this strategy."
The DemandTec purchase will also give IBM 450 additional customers among some of the world's largest retailers, including Target and Walmart.
Chris Kanaracus covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Chris's e-mail address is Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- ESG: The IBM FlashSystem 840: Technical Evolution to Deliver Business Value In this whitepaper, you will learn how this high-speed storage technology has tremendous potential to support I/O-intensive and/or latency-sensitive applications.
- Choosing an MDM Platform: Where to Start the Conversation If you're in the early stages of choosing an MDM solution, or you're considering switching vendors, here are seven critical questions to ask...
- Axeda Platform Technical Overview This paper summarizes the major features of an IoT platform and explains how they simplify and speed the process of developing and deploying...
- Stock Shock: The effect of project and portfolio management on share price In this independent report, you'll see the intrinsic connection between long-term capital investment and short term market performance -- and how this can...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts