Micro Focus tool aims to help enterprises build better mobile apps
The company's SilkPerformer product can now simulate traffic from smartphones
IDG News Service - Micro Focus has adapted its SilkPerformer platform for testing of mobile web applications, in a effort to help users improve performance, the company said on Thursday.
The growing popularity of smartphones isn't just a challenge to mobile operators. It also puts pressure on enterprises to build mobile websites that can handle a growing number of users, and not buckle under peak loads, according to Micro Focus.
To help enterprises test how their sites behave, Micro Focus SilkPerformer now offers simulation capabilities for a variety of mobile devices, including smartphones based on Android, Apple's iOS and Research In Motion's Blackberry OS.
The tool can be used in the cloud, on premise or both, the company said. When used in the cloud, enterprises pay for only the generated traffic load used whether the application scales to meet peak loads or fails to scale, according to Micro Focus' website.
SilkPerformer also simulates the bandwidth limitations of mobile network connections and can handle a plethora of different network technologies including older ones such as GPRS and newcomers HSPA+ (High-Speed Packet Access) and LTE (Long-Term Evolution).
The Mobile Browser Simulation emulates mobile device traffic from different parts of the world.
However, SilkPerformer doesn't just simulate traffic loads but also helps to diagnose potential problems, according to Micro Focus. That information can then be used to optimize site performance, it said.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Adobe Creative Cloud FAQ The following are answers to common questions about Adobe® Creative Cloud™ for teams membership, purchasing, security, and storage.
- What's coming to Adobe Creative Cloud Editing and video content creation workflows are about to get easier and more exciting, with major updates coming soon to Creative Cloud, bringing...
- It's not too late...Get Your Mobile Questions Answered Live! How can IT provide seamless and secure mobile communications and collaboration for all? Join this live Webcast as IDG asks an expert panel...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success! All App Development White Papers | Webcasts