Micro Focus tool aims to help enterprises build better mobile apps
The company's SilkPerformer product can now simulate traffic from smartphones
IDG News Service - Micro Focus has adapted its SilkPerformer platform for testing of mobile web applications, in a effort to help users improve performance, the company said on Thursday.
The growing popularity of smartphones isn't just a challenge to mobile operators. It also puts pressure on enterprises to build mobile websites that can handle a growing number of users, and not buckle under peak loads, according to Micro Focus.
To help enterprises test how their sites behave, Micro Focus SilkPerformer now offers simulation capabilities for a variety of mobile devices, including smartphones based on Android, Apple's iOS and Research In Motion's Blackberry OS.
The tool can be used in the cloud, on premise or both, the company said. When used in the cloud, enterprises pay for only the generated traffic load used whether the application scales to meet peak loads or fails to scale, according to Micro Focus' website.
SilkPerformer also simulates the bandwidth limitations of mobile network connections and can handle a plethora of different network technologies including older ones such as GPRS and newcomers HSPA+ (High-Speed Packet Access) and LTE (Long-Term Evolution).
The Mobile Browser Simulation emulates mobile device traffic from different parts of the world.
However, SilkPerformer doesn't just simulate traffic loads but also helps to diagnose potential problems, according to Micro Focus. That information can then be used to optimize site performance, it said.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- HTTP Status Code Cheat Sheet Look at the Graph, Find the Code and Boom - You're Solving Problems. Identifying and understanding common HTTP status codes can go a...
- 10 Steps to Application and Network Performance Nirvana 10 simple steps that network operations teams can take to ensure that applications and underlying infrastructure can both be tuned for maximum performance.
- Application Performance Management for Dummies Application performance management helps deliver the application performance users and the business demand. Effectively monitoring and troubleshooting application performance issues requires a comprehensive...
- IDC Report: Optimize IT and Business Gains This IDC Whitepaper outlines how CIOs can understand what the "total cost of data" is across their entire organization and how Delphix can...
- Business-driven data protection Setting up data protection infrastructures with your organizations' core mission or business in mind is key. In this webinar, the ARCserve team will...
- On-Demand Webinar: Mind the Gap! Watch the webinar featuring Bob Janssen, CTO and Co-Founder of RES Software, to start building a solid foundation for business and IT to... All App Development White Papers | Webcasts