Usenix: Dartmouth updating diff, grep Unix tools
Dartmouth researchers are working on variants of diff and grep that can parse more complex data structures
IDG News Service - With some funding from Google and the U.S. Energy Department, a pair of computer scientists at Dartmouth University are updating the venerable grep and diff Unix command line utilities to handle more complex types of data.
Such updates are needed because "we now tend to have more model-based configuration languages that have meaningful constructs spanning more than one line," said Gabriel Weaver, a Dartmouth graduate student who, along with Dartmouth computer science professor Sean Smith, is creating the variants of grep and diff. Weaver presented the new utilities at a poster session at the Usenix Large Installation System Administration (LISA) conference, being held this week in Boston.
The new programs will allow administrators to extract meaningful data from configuration files, log files and other sources of operational data, the researchers maintain.
Grep and diff are command line-based text analysis tools available in all Linux and Unix distributions. Both are designed to parse documents on a line-by-line basis. Grep offers the ability to search through multiple text files and folders for a specific chunk of text or regular expression. Diff compares two documents and highlights the differences between them.
As with most Unix utilities, the output from either of these programs can be linked, or piped, to other utilities, so they can be incorporated into scripts that automate routine system administration tasks.
The new programs, called Context-Free Grep and Hierarchical Diff, will provide the ability to parse blocks of data rather than single lines. For each new type of data structure, a vendor would provide a pattern library identifying the basic structure of the data, which the software would then use to "extract the constructs of interest from the document," Weaver said.
Such utilities could provide administrators the ability to work with more complex forms of data now being generated by network equipment and infrastructure software. For instance, Cisco's IOS (Internetwork Operating System), which is the company's operating system for its routers and switches, will provide operational data in block-like data structures.
With this data, a tool such as diff "can be too low-level," Weaver said. "Diff doesn't really pay attention to the structure of the language you are trying to tell differences between." He has seen cases where dif reports that 10 changes have been made to a file, when in fact only two changes have been made, and the remaining data has simply been shifted around.
Grep has issues with data blocks as well. "With regular expressions, you don't really have the ability to extract things that are nested arbitrarily deep," Weaver said.
Context-Free Grep is still in the design stage, but should be completed within the next few months. A prototype of Hierarchical Diff has been completed, though the researchers have not posted the code yet.
- Enable secure remote access to 3D data without sacrificing visual perfomance Design and manufacturing companies must adapt quickly to the demands of an increasingly global and competitive economy. To speed time to market for...
- Simplifying Product Design In A Complex World Product design engineering has moved far beyond the confines of ever-more powerful workstations. Companies can't afford to restrict projects to using only local...
- A Reference Architecture for the Internet of Things The aim of this is to provide Architects and Developers of IoT projects with an effective starting point that covers the major requirements...
- How to Reduce Hardware & Infrastructure Costs Through Data In this paper, we take a look at how organizations are revisiting their network and server architecture in a bid to address the...
- Is SQL Server AlwaysOn really as powerful? Tips and Tricks from the field With the introduction of AlwaysOn, Windows Clustering Services is now more critical than ever.
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center... All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts