Verizon Wireless reports 4G LTE network issue
Verizon Wireless said that 3G data and voice devices are unaffected
IDG News Service - Verizon Wireless said its 4G LTE (Long Term Evolution) service returned to normal Wednesday evening, a day after some 4G customers reported intermittent or unavailable 4G service, or devices operating on 3G.
The company said in an emailed statement on Thursday that its network operations team had resolved a technical issue, but did not provide details of the problem. Users on community forums reported restoration of 4G service. But some customers were doubtful whether Verizon would disclose what had caused the problem.
Verizon Wireless said earlier on Wednesday that its engineers were working to resolve an issue with its 4G LTE service that was affecting some customers' 4G devices. The company said some 4G LTE customers had reported that their devices are operating on 3G data service where they would normally get 4G.
The company did not specify the nature of the problem, or the locations and number of customers affected. On a Verizon community forum, customers from a number of locations in the U.S. were reporting problems with their 4G service on Wednesday.
Verizon's 4G LTE is currently available in 179 cities and 114 major airports, covering more than 186 million people in the U.S., according to its website.
Verizon said that 3G data and voice devices were unaffected, and all customers' voice calls and text messages continued to go through.
The operator said that while some customers have reported no issues, others were reporting that data access was either intermittent or unavailable.
Verizon plans to expand its 4G LTE network to cover two-thirds of the U.S. population by mid-2012, and cover its entire existing nationwide 3G footprint with 4G LTE by the end of 2013.
The company had another network issue in April that affected some of its 4G LTE customers.
- Improving IT Efficiencies: Four Advantages of Multi-Tenant Data Centers Increasing demands on IT are forcing organizations to rethink their data center options. For many organizations, that means turning to the flexibility afforded...
- Accelerating Cloud Deployment and Operations with Managed Services Companies that do not have sufficient in-house expertise to either deploy or maintain an IaaS cloud should turn to Managed Service Providers .
- Rethinking IT Operations in the Cloud This paper breaks down the challenges that often prevent the cloud from delivering the fast, flexible and affordable infrastructure companies seek - and...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Cloud-Enabled Managed Hosting, North America Cloud-enabled managed hosting brings cloudlike consumption and provisioning attributes to the traditional managed hosting market
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All Broadband White Papers | Webcasts