Symantec confirms Reader exploits targeted defense companies
Microsoft patched the IE6 and IE7 vulnerability on March 30, 2010, in an emergency, or "out-of-band," update.
Although Symantec found evidence of only the early-November attacks, Talbot said he wouldn't be surprised if the criminals fired off another information-stealing campaign between now and next week, when Adobe promised to patch the bug in Reader and Acrobat 9.x on Windows, the versions that have been exploited in the wild.
Talbot declined to specify the geographic location of the Sykipot C&C servers, or speculate on the origin of the Reader exploits.
Adobe will patch the Windows versions of Reader and Acrobat 9.x by the end of next week, and has promised to deliver fixes to Reader and Acrobat 9.x to Mac and Unix users, and to Reader and Acrobat 10.x for all platforms, next month.
Symantec has shipped detection signatures for the rogue PDFs to its customers, said Talbot.
Gregg Keizer covers Microsoft, security issues, Apple, Web browsers and general technology breaking news for Computerworld. Follow Gregg on Twitter at @gkeizer, on Google+ or subscribe to Gregg's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Security in Computerworld's Security Topic Center.
- The State of Video Conferencing Security Video conferencing equipment, found in almost every boardroom around the world, may be opening up companies to serious security breaches. This paper explains...
- Cybersecurity Imperatives: Reinvent your Network Security The Rise of CyberSecurity
- Cybersecurity for Dummies eBook This book provides an in-depth examination of real-world attacks and APTs, the shortcomings of legacy security solutions, the capabilities of next-generation firewalls, and...
- 10 Things Your Next Firewall Must do Next-Generation Firewalls Defined
- What are the desktop virtualization market trends and how can you successfully deploy your solution? You've probably heard about desktop virtualization -- and some of its benefits -- things like tighter security, streamlined management and lower costs. But...
- The Value of Symantec NetBackup Appliances In this video, Symantec's Shelley Schmokel, Principal Product Manager for NetBackup Appliances, talks about the NetBackup Integrated Appliances and how they deliver enterprise-class... All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!