Fuji Xerox to launch Dropbox-like cloud storage service for its copiers
The Japanese company's new copiers will allow documents to be scanned or faxed directly to its online service.
IDG News Service - Fuji Xerox will launch a new cloud storage service that hooks directly into its multifunction copiers next week, allowing documents to be uploaded by scan or fax, then edited or downloaded by computer or phone.
The "Working Folder" service will provide features similar to that of existing cloud services and standard file servers, with encryption, versioning and access control by user. But Fuji Xerox stressed its tight integration with a new line of copiers that will go on sale Monday, saving potential clients the hassle of linking up offerings from disparate companies or managing their own servers.
The service is organized around a concept of virtual filing cabinets, containing "drawers" and "folders" that can be shared among users. Documents can be accessed online through a Web browser, or edited and downloaded directly via dedicated software for Windows and Mac OS, as well as Android and iOS devices.
A myriad of similar online storage services exist, and many such as Dropbox and Evernote can sync with faxes and scanners. But hardware makers are rushing to launch cloud offerings that work seamlessly with their products, as a way to lock in clients and a buffer against commoditization amid falling profit margins.
Fuji Xerox's new offering will have a basic fee of 3,500 (US$45) per month, which will allow 10 users to access 10 GB of shared storage. Additional users can storage can also be added.
The company is aiming for 10,000 contracts per year, and is also considering launching outside of Japan, a spokesman said.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Gartner 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery Software See why CommVault was positioned as the #1 leader in Gartner's 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery software for the 3rd year in...
- Forrester Report: CommVault is a Leader in Enterprise Backup and Recovery In this report, Forrester takes a deep dive into the evaluation criteria, how CommVault is positioned and the features and functionality that make...
- Forrester Wave for Enterprise Backup and Recovery Read this report to see how CommVault continues to outpace its competitors and why Forrester positioned CommVault Simpana as the top backup and...
- IDC Whitepaper: Optimal Path to the Cloud Find out what IDC says about Selecting the Optimal Path to Private Cloud in this analyst white paper. Learn the challenges and benefits...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts