Bluetooth keyboards to get 10-year battery life with new chip, Broadcom says
Consumers will no longer need to charge or change batteries, the chip maker said
IDG News Service - Broadcom is working on a Bluetooth chipset that will give wireless keyboards a battery life of up to 10 years, the company said on Tuesday.
If they had a battery life of as long as 10 years, that Bluetooth-based accessories could potentially never need new batteries, the chip maker said. A set of two AA batteries would be enough to power a keyboard using the BCM20730 Bluetooth chip to connect with a computer for its entire lifetime, Broadcom said.
Besides keyboards, the component will also be used in computer mice, 3D active shutter glasses, remote controls and game controllers.
To simplify installation, the BCM20730 uses USB emulation and Broadcom's ZeroTouch configuration technology, which makes it possible to use accessories out of the box with no special pairing procedure, Broadcom said.
The chip maker didn't say when the first products will arrive, but the BCM20730 is in full production, and a so-called reference design to show vendors what a product using the chip could look like is being evaluated by peripheral makers worldwide, Broadcom said.
Bluetooth will continue to gain popularity in the coming years, helped by faster transfer speeds on one hand and lower power consumption on the other, according to market research company In-Stat, which expects that Bluetooth-enabled device shipments will exceed 2 billion in 2013.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- Enterprise Endpoint Backup Checklist Read this checklist to learn how to create a back up strategy to quickly and easily protect your endpoint data.
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts