Apple faces legal threat to iPad trademark in China
A Chinese court rejected Apple's lawsuit aganist Shenzhen-based Proview
IDG News Service - A Chinese court has rejected Apple's lawsuits to gain control of the iPad trademark in China, while a little-known Chinese firm raises the stakes and seeks to ban the iconic tablet from being sold in the country under the iPad brand.
The Shenzhen Municipal Intermediate People's Court said in a Tuesday statement online that it had rejected Apple's two trademark lawsuits against Shenzhen-based Proview, a display monitor vendor now in financial trouble. In 2001, Proview registered for the trademarks "iPAD" and "IPAD" in China, which it later used to unsuccessfully launch its own tablet.
The court said that in 2009, a Proview subsidiary in Taiwan had sold the iPad trademark rights to a U.K.- based company called "IP Applications". In 2010, the U.K.-based company then sold the trademark rights to Apple.
The court rejected the lawsuits, stating that even as Apple had signed a contract for the trademark rights, it had done so only through Proview's Taiwan subsidiary. Proview's Shenzhen-based company did not attend any trademark negotiations, nor did it formally transfer the trademark rights. As a result, the contract is not legally binding, according to the court.
Apple said on Wednesday it declined to comment on the case.
Xiao Caiyuan, a lawyer representing Proview, said Apple could still appeal the court's decision. But in the meantime, Proview has already filed a lawsuit in China against Apple, which is set to go trial, according to Xiao.
Xiao declined to offer details about the lawsuit. But he said Proview seeks to ban Apple from selling its iPad in China because of trademark infringement. "Because Apple is a very influential company, no one wants to think they are being unreasonable. But in this case, they really are being unreasonable," Xiao said.
Apple's iPad has been the hottest selling tablet in China, with the devices grabbing a 74 percent market share in the second quarter, according to Beijing-based research firm Analysys International.
- Hadoop for Dummies Today, organizations in every industry are being showered with imposing quantities of new information. Along with traditional sources, many more data channels and...
- The Top Five Ways to Get Started with Big Data Despite the increased focus on big data over the past few years, most organizations are still talking about what big data is rather...
- Data Warehouse Augmentation: The Queryable Data Store While organizations have, to date, been busy exploring and experimenting, they are now beginning to focus on using big data technologies to solve...
- The IBM Big Data Platform IBM is unique in having developed an enterprise class big data platform that allows you to address the full spectrum of big data...
- Live Webcast Best Practices: How to Improve Business Continuity with Virtualization VMware solutions include a range of business continuity capabilities to help ensure availability for applications across your virtualized environment. Learn More>>
- Endpoint Data Management: Protecting the Perimeter of the Internet of Things Not surprisingly, "Internet of Things" (IoT) and Big Data present new challenges AND opportunities for enterprise IT. Teams need to harness, secure and...
- Best Practices: How to Improve Business Continuity with Virtualization VMware solutions include a range of business continuity capabilities to help ensure availability for applications across your virtualized environment. Learn More>> All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts